FatCamera/iStock(PITTSBURGH) — A combat veteran with a service dog was denied entry to a restaurant in Pittsburgh after the owner refused to let him in with the animal.Kris Jones and his dog, a Dutch Shepherd named Chopper, along with another friend tried to enter The Huddle, a bar and restaurant in Pittsburgh’s Beechview neighborhood, when the owner approached them and refused them entry into the establishment.“It was just very disappointing to me. It is just very hurtful,” Jones told ABC News’ Pittsburgh affiliate station WTAE-TV in an interview. “He’s very important to me, he’s definitely my lifeline … He makes me feel safe. A lot of veterans, you don’t want to be alone, when you’re going into a public place or a restaurant, it can be pretty stressful.”Jones said that while Chopper was not wearing his service vest when they tried to enter the restaurant, he was wearing his service dog collar. Jones also said that he was never given the chance to show the appropriate documentation that Chopper is his service dog and was given no other choice but to leave.“I made a mistake. That’s all there is to it,” said Pete Wagner, owner of The Huddle, when WTAE reached him by phone. “We have service dogs here often.”Wagner allegedly declined to go on camera for an interview.Wagner also said that the bar was busy for last week’s Steelers game against the Cleveland Browns and that, for some reason, he just didn’t connect the dots that Chopper was a service dog.Kris Jones enlisted in the Marines after 9/11 and was eventually injured in combat and, consequently, diagnosed with PTSD. The lesson that Jones wants people to take away from this incident is for people to realize just how vital service dogs are to people who need them.“I want business owners, people, everywhere, children, everywhere to know that PTSD is a big thing, and a lot of veterans come home and people can look okay and look fine, but you don’t know what’s going on on the inside,” said Jones. Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
[Video: Eryn Allen Kane][H/T Consequence Of Sound] Earlier this month, Donald J. Trump hosted a rally in South Haven, Mississippi, during which the President used Prince‘s classic tune “Purple Rain”. However, recently, the Prince Estate has issued a request to President 45 to stop playing Prince’s music at his political rallies, joining a number of other high-profile artists like Neil Young and Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler who have publicly denounced Trump using their songs at rallies.Notes the Star Tribune, after footage of the rally surfaced on Fox News and CNN with the song being played in the background, the Prince Estate issued the following via Twitter: “The Prince Estate has never given permission to President Trump or the White House to use Prince’s songs and have requested that they cease all use immediately.”However, unlike Neil Young and Steven Tyler’s public requests for Donald Trump to abstain from using their music, the Prince Estate’s request seems less likely to be explicitly political. Before Prince’s untimely death in 2016, the famed guitarist and singer was notorious for protecting his music’s rights and for aggressively shutting down any unauthorized use of his music. In that vein, Prince was also selective about what he chose to address politically, frequently avoiding taking sides politically.This is not to say that Prince was non-political; rather, the famed pop icon was very intentional about how and why his music was used. For example, a year before his death, Prince released a protest song with soul singer Eryn Allen Kane that addressed the Freddie Gray’s death at the hands of Baltimore City police officers and the community’s tumultuous response, which has since been renamed the Baltimore Uprising or the Baltimore Riots.
# # # # # Burlington Police Chief Michael E. Schirling will testify Wednesday before the US Senate Judiciary Committee at the invitation of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT). Leahy, who chairs the panel, scheduled the hearing to explore Encouraging Innovative and Cost-Effective Crime Reduction Strategies. Leahy has made state and local law enforcement issues a priority for the Judiciary Committee this Congress. He dedicated the first hearing of the 111th Congress to examining the needs of state and local law enforcement. In 2008, Leahy twice brought the Judiciary Committee to Vermont to hear testimony about community efforts to address crime.Chief Schirling will offer testimony about the Burlington Police Department s success in developing and enhancing community policing through partnership and problem solving. Police departments across the country are facing cutbacks in resources and funding during difficult economic times, and are increasingly looking to local business and community organizations to help identify and implement innovative strategies to address violence and crime.The hearing will be held tomorrow, Wednesday, March 3, at 2:15 p.m., in room 226 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington. A live webcast will be available online. Source: Leahy’s office. WASHINGTON (Tuesday, March 2)
Oct 6, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Recent US government contracts to test two experimental anthrax drugs could lead to the purchase of up to 100,000 doses of each.Cangene, based in Winnipeg, Man., has received a contract from the Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to supply its anthrax immune globulin (AIG) for preliminary efficacy testing, according to a company news release. The company describes AIG as a hyperimmune product for treating or preventing inhalational anthrax, caused by Bacillus anthracis.HHS has the next year to decide whether to purchase from 10,000 to 100,000 doses of AIG over three years. If that happens, Cangene must seek Food and Drug Administration approval of the product.HHS has awarded a similar contract to Human Genome Sciences Inc. (HGS) of Rockville, Md. In the first phase of the contract, worth $1.8 million, the company will sell the government 10 grams of ABthrax, a human monoclonal antibody for treating anthrax, the company announced on Oct 3. The government then will have the option to buy up to 100,000 doses of the product within a year.B anthracis is considered a category A bioweapon. Four years ago this month, soon after the Sep 11 attacks, anthrax spores sent through the US mail caused a series of anthrax cases that eventually totaled 22 (11 cutaneous and 11 inhalational). Five patients with inhalational anthrax died. The case has never been solved.See also: CIDRAP anthrax overviewhttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/bt/anthrax/biofacts/index.html
Quadrant.org.au 15 December 2016Family First Comment: A fabulous article with thorough research from an independent academic, not an activist seeking to exploit children. The whole article is worth reading, but there are two sections that we wanted to highlight – especially as it relates to some research in NZ….. How common is childhood gender dysphoria?No one really knows because there is “an absence of formal prevalence studies” and estimates vary greatly. The leader of Toronto’s Transgender Youth Clinic at the Hospital for Sick Children, Dr Joey Bonifacio, says estimates based on adult dysphoria clinics range from 0.005 to 0.014 per cent for men convinced they are women and 0.002 to 0.003 per cent for women convinced they are men, but believes they are “likely modest underestimates”. Bonifacio’s statistics are the same as those declared in the bible of psychiatry, DSM-5.In Australia, prominence has been given to a cross-sectional questionnaire distributed to 8500 adolescents in New Zealand (“Youth 12”) which reported 1.2 per cent answered “Yes” to the question, “Do you think you are transgender? This is a girl who feels like she should have been a boy, or a boy who feels like he should have been a girl.” 95 per cent denied being transgender, 2.5 per cent replied they were “unsure”, and 1.7 per cent “did not understand” the question. The estimate of 1.2 per cent is promoted by leaders of the gender dysphoria service at Melbourne Children’s Hospital, but the progenitors of the “Safe Schools” program appear to have inflated the figure to 4 per cent by adding the unsure 2.5 per cent.Results of such tick-in-the-box questionnaires are unreliable. According to DSM-5, childhood gender dysphoria can only be diagnosed if there is “a marked incongruence” between natal and perceived gender lasting “at least six months”, “manifested by at least six” features, including “a strong desire … and insistence”, together with a “strong preference” for the company, clothing and toys of the opposite sex and its role in fantasy play, and associated with rejection of the stereotypes of its natal sex, including anatomy. Also, to comply with “dysphoria”, there should be “significant distress or impairment … in functioning”.The unreliability of such questionnaires is emphasised in the Journal of Homosexuality in its consideration of the prevalence of suicide in sexual minorities. It warns that conclusions are limited because they are based on “retrospective” data, “do not effectively allow cause and effect relationships to be discerned” including “co-occurring mental disorders”, are “restricted” in the number of questions they can ask to elucidate facts and are weakened by the possibility of incomprehension of the questions.Is it any surprise that reliability of responses from adolescents has been questioned? In the New Zealand survey deemed authoritative by some in Australia, 36.5 per cent of adolescents in this land of the All Blacks declared they did not understand the question: have you ever been “hit or physically harmed by another person?”…. The New Zealand survey of adolescents (“Youth 12”) deemed authoritative by some in Australia asked about “self-harm” in the previous year. Of non-transgenders 23.4 per cent replied “Yes”, as did 45.5 per cent of “transgenders” but 23.7 per cent reckoned they did not understand the question. When asked about attempted suicide, 4.1 per cent of non-transgenders replied “Yes”, as did 19.8 per cent of “transgenders”, but 13.3 per cent declared incomprehension.AND JUST TO MAKE YOU REAL QUEEZY….Stage 3: SurgeryAccording to international guidelines, “sex realignment surgery” may be performed from eighteen years, though there are reports of it occurring earlier in private clinics. Mastectomy, however, may be performed at a younger age if developing breasts increase dysphoria.…Creating ersatz female genitals is easiest: an orifice is created in the perineum, lined with skin from a filleted penis and, sometimes, deepened by transplanted bowel. The scrotum forms labia. The glans is grafted above the orifice and the urethral tube is shortened.Creating male genitals is harder. One surgeon declared that “the task assumes nearly Herculean dimensions” but this underestimates the ingenuity and range of objectives while exaggerating results. Hercules was always successful: creation of a penis is not. Some patients settle for a clitoris enlarged by male hormones. Others aspire to a penetrative organ, or at least one that can deliver urine when its owner is standing. In these cases, a shaft may be attempted from tissue grafted from thigh or even forearm and stiffened with a length of bone. Reversing the biblical account of the origin of females, bone from a woman’s rib may now turn her into someone with a male phallus. A glans may be fashioned from a graft of inner-skin and the tube that delivers urine may be lined with mucous membranes from the mouth. The appearance of a scrotum may be achieved by creating a sac from the labia and inserting two artificial testicles.SCARY! But this is what activists are pushing on our vulnerable young people. Shameful.READ MORE: https://quadrant.org.au/magazine/2016/12/gender-dysphoria-child-surgical-abuse/