– Advertisement – Pennsylvania’s secretary of state will ask a federal judge to dismiss a new lawsuit by the Trump campaign, which seeks to bar the state from certifying the results of its election between President Donald Trump and President-elect Joe Biden.“The Secretary disputes that Plaintiffs have stated a claim,” lawyers for Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar wrote in a court filing Tuesday, which also asked the judge to move the case to Harrisburg, the state’s capital.Boockvar, a Democrat, “intends to promptly move to dismiss and request expedited consideration of that motion,” the lawyers wrote.- Advertisement – The Trump campaign’s 86-page document accused Pennsylvania of, among other things, ignoring “legislative mandates” by evaluating mail-in ballots “on an entirely parallel track to those ballots cast in person.”This “two-track” system violates the Constitution, the campaign argued.“Pennsylvania has created an illegal two-tiered voting system for the 2020 General Election, devaluing in-person votes,” the complaint alleged.“Democrat-majority counties provided political parties and candidates, including the Trump Campaign, no meaningful access or actual opportunity to review and assess mail-in ballots during the pre-canvassing meetings,” the complaint said.It also alleged that counties favoring Democrats were unfairly advantaged in the contest by reviewing ballots earlier and allowing voters more time to “cure” problems with their votes.Judge Matthew Brann scheduled a telephone status conference for 3 p.m. ET on Tuesday. A clerk for the court told CNBC that media would not be allowed to listen in on the call. – Advertisement – The signal from the Keystone State official came less than a day after the Trump campaign filed its complaint in U.S. District Court in the Middle District of Pennsylvania, requesting “an emergency order prohibiting Defendants from certifying the results of the General Election.”The suit was filed three days after news outlets, including NBC News, projected that Biden would defeat Trump in Pennsylvania. That projection put Biden over the threshold of 270 electoral votes required to win the election.Trump, however, has not conceded the race. Rather, he has claimed he won, “by a lot,” and has launched a barrage of claims, without providing evidence, about voter fraud and illegality in key states. His campaign has taken legal action in multiple states; some of those lawsuits have already been tossed by judges.- Advertisement – Pennsylvania Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar speaks at a press conference regarding election vote counting in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, U.S. November 5, 2020.Mark Kauzlarich | Reuters
Pepe admits it was ‘painful’ to see Unai Emery leave Arsenal (Getty Images)‘We must not forget that. For me, it was something painful.’AdvertisementAdvertisementWhen asked about Ljungberg’s arrival, Pepe said: ‘As he was a player, he understands us better.‘He speaks a lot with us, so for us it is quite simple for us to understand him like for him it is quite easy to understand us.‘Right now there are some players who are playing others who are not. That’s football, it’s like that. It is the coach who decides.‘If I am on the bench, it is up to me to put the work in to get back in the starting line-up.’ Nicolas Pepe unhappy over Unai Emery sacking at Arsenal but highlights Freddie Ljungberg positive Metro Sport ReporterThursday 5 Dec 2019 9:11 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link388Shares Nicolas Pepe has spoken out on Unai Emery and Freddie Ljungberg (RMC Sport)Nicolas Pepe admits it was ‘painful’ to see Arsenal sack Unai Emery but admits Freddie Ljungberg has a better understanding with the players.Arsenal took the decision to sack Emery last week after a poor run of results and have appointed Ljungberg as an interim manager until the club’s hierarchy can agree on a permanent replacement.Pepe struggled to find his best form under Emery, who guided Arsenal to just one win in his last nine games in charge.But the £72 million summer signing still admits he was unhappy to see Emery lose his job.ADVERTISEMENT‘It was painful because he is a coach who gave me the chance to come to Arsenal,’ Pepe told RMC Sport. Comment Nicolas Pepe has struggled to make an impact since his £72m move (AP Photo)‘It is normal for people to criticise me as much as they are doing because I am not making the difference in each match.‘I understand them. It is certainly up to me to reverse this situation through hard work.‘There are lots of aspects that I need to improve.‘Score more quickly, take the opportunities to score that I’ve been missing. It’s like that, that’s football.‘I also need to improve on the physical aspect because coming from France to England, there is this box-to-box aspect that you have to take into account.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Pepe says Freddie Ljungberg has a better understanding with Arsenal’s players (Getty Images)More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityPepe also admits he understands criticism following his subdued start at Arsenal and insists he needs to improve in several areas.‘I would say that my start has been a bit negative,’ said Pepe.‘Based on my own expectations of myself, I expected a bit more.‘I expect more and it is up to me to work hard and make the difference in each match. Advertisement Advertisement
By Liz Sheehan |LONG BRANCH – A city man is calling for the removal of the statue of Christopher Columbus from Slocum Park, adjacent to the city’s library.Gualterio Alomar, a utility worker who is also a documentary filmmaker and leader of a group called the Organization for Culture of Hispanic Origins (OCHO), cited Columbus’s brutal treatment of the natives in Puerto Rico and neighboring islands – as described by the 16th century historian and Dominican friar, Bartolome De Las Casas – as the reason for the removal request.He said Columbus’ use of the natives as slaves led to the practice spreading to other countries.“As far as I am concerned he gave birth to the slave trade,” Alomar said.According to Alomar, who moved to Long Branch six years ago, the statue is in a neighborhood that is predominantly Hispanic and black, two groups Columbus exploited.Questions about taking down statues of Columbus have been raised in other locations, including New York City, which is now conducting a review of statues in the city, according to an NBC news report in August.Alomar said he had spoken to Bill Dangler, the president of the Long Branch NAACP,After the request, Alomar said he saw a video of Dangler telling the City Council the NAACP was not in favor of the action, but did not receive a call from Dangler.After approaching other groups for support but not receiving it, Alomar said Wednesday he will go alone to the City Council to make his group’s request for the statue’s removal.“I’m going to take it on myself,” he said.Dangler said Tuesday the NAACP members decided not to back the request to remove the statue. He informed the Council of his organization’s decision because he had been told there were rumors going around the city’s Amerigo Vespucci Society – an Italian- American group formed in 1893 – that the NAACP would ask for the statue’s removal.“It is part of American history,” Dangler said about Columbus.“Good or bad, we should teach American history,” he said, and, “Teach the history of Columbus, the good and the bad.”An inscription on the base of the statue said it had been donated by “Americans of Italian extraction” in 1961.Alomor said the three-year old group OCHO provides education and mental health services to Hispanic communities free of charge through programs and seminars, counseling programs, and volunteer activities, all while preserving Hispanic culture and traditions. He said there was a need for mental health counseling to be done with an awareness of cultural differences.Alomor, whose documentary film, “Colonization is Extinction,” will be shown at the New York Latino Film Festival this month, said he had presented a workshop at the Long Branch library about OCHO’s concerns and history.His film is described on OCHO’s website as shining a light on the current state of Puerto Rico, its economic crisis and how colonialism has crippled the island.This weekend, the Long Branch Public Library will host Latino Fest from 1-5 p.m. on Saturday at its facility, 328 Broadway. On Sunday, the Columbus Day Parade will be held on at 1 p.m. The parade starts at Long Branch Middle School and travels Bath Avenue to Broadway and down Morris Avenue.This article was first published in the Oct.5-12, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.
Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen believes Manchester United will be massively boosted by the signing of Chelsea’s Juan Mata. United are expected to complete the capture of the Blues playmaker within the next 48 hours after a deal worth around £37m was agreed in principle.Meulensteen, who spent 12 years at Old Trafford as a coach under Sir Alex Ferguson, said: “I think he’s a great player and would be a great player for United.“It’s not really my business to comment, but he is a very good player and I do think he will definitely improve them.”Mata is due in Manchester for a medical this afternoon and is expected to sign a four-and-a-half-year contract with the reigning Premier League champions.See also: I expected to lose Mata to Barcelona or Real Madrid, not UnitedFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
All roads led to the Valley of Waves; Sun City Resort in Rustenburg, for the inaugural Marketing Achievement Awards (MAA) where Brand South Africa was a partner. The awards celebrated excellence, recognised and rewarded successful marketing initiatives in the country’s marketing industry.Kicking off the day was a Marketing Summit that saw the auditorium filled with top marketers in the country to help unpack topics on;The future of marketing communicationsPan Africa, tomorrowMarketing with meaning and purposeAre South African companies innovating?Make you, or break you – reputation management in a highly responsive era,Co-creating a revised Brand South Africa strategyThe awards had ten categories one of which was Brand South Africa’s patron for “South African Resonance Marketing Award”, which recognised a brand that managed to resonate with South Africans.AB InBev for Castle Lager #SmashTheLabel with its agency Ogilvy SA were the proud recipients of this award.Speaking on the awards, Brand South Africa’s Acting Chief Marketing Officer Ms Sithembile Ntombela said; “We congratulate all entrants and we say ha la la to all the winners. We say thank you for playing a significant role in enhancing the image, identity and reputation of the country brand.One of the highlights of the night was the induction of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu into the South African Hall of Fame.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd U21 coach Wood hails Chong attitude for Lincoln winby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United U21 coach Neil Wood has praised the attitude of Tahith Chong.The winger turned out for the EFL Trophy win over Lincoln City.Wood explained what the 19-year-old brings to his team.”I think it was good for him to be out there. He needed some game time and he did really well for the goal, got in between the lines and drove at the guy and went and had a good hand in the first goal,” Wood said.”He’s got great experience and he talks to the lads a lot on the pitch so we’re happy to have him with us.”
Chris Stewart APTN National NewsThe Enoch Cree First Nation in Alberta isn’t on a boil water advisory – but people in the Alberta community didn’t trust the water.And with the community hosting the World Indigenous games this July, the federal government will pay for a supply fresh drinking [email protected]
MANSOURA, Egypt – A prison-themed restaurant in Egypt? It might seem distasteful in a country where thousands of people, mostly Islamists but also secular pro-democracy activists, are languishing in jail on what right groups say are trumped-up charges.Yet, the restaurant in the coastal city of Mansoura called “Food Crime” is doing good business because of its novelty, according to patrons. Props like handcuffs, inmate number plaques, a prisoners’ cage and even an electric chair are served up as welcome selfie-fodder.“It’s a catchy idea and I did not want to do something that is traditional,” said the restaurant’s owner, Waleed Naeem, 37. “Our prices are competitive — our most expensive sandwich on the menu is just 15 pounds (84 U.S. cents).”Naeem is irked by anyone who tries to link the restaurant’s theme to the large-scale crackdown on dissent since the military ousted an Islamist president in 2013.“The people of Mansoura really like this restaurant and think it’s a great idea. But others are making a huge deal out of this on social media,” said Naeem, who has refused to give media interviews to news outlets that want him to speak about what his eatery symbolizes.“My restaurant is not political,” said Naeem, who maintains that the idea of Food Crime was inspired by similar establishments in South Korea, China and Italy. “I don’t think it has anything to do with real prisons and those inside them.”The restaurant’s unusual decor attracts many in Mansoura, like Yasmeen Khouly.“The idea is crazy, but it’s all about trying something new and seeing what’s out there, she said after eating there with a friend.“Obviously seeing handcuffs and an electric chair is strange.”Engineer Ahmed Atef, however, said the environment reminded him of his days in the army, and “the prisons I used to see when I served.”The motif has even drawn in policemen like Amr El Gohary, who said he was impressed by features of the “amazing decor,” like the handcuffs and a metal cage that allowed him to engage in some role reversal.“Obviously it made me love this place. The experience of eating in the cage was interesting because being a policeman, I’m the one who puts people in handcuffs and prisons.”
LONDON — A British corporate investigator has filed a complaint to U.K. regulators about Chinese state TV, saying its British license should be revoked because it broadcast his forced confession when he was imprisoned in China.Peter Humphrey filed a complaint Friday against China Central Television and its international division, China Global Television, for violating British broadcasting rules.Humphrey and his wife spent two years in prison after being convicted of illegally acquiring personal information of Chinese citizens.The couple had been hired on contract by pharmaceuticals company GlaxoSmithKline to look into a security breach, but became collateral damage when the Chinese government began investigating the pharmaceutical company’s bribery practices.The pair was shown on Chinese television purportedly confessing their crimes.CGTN is available on free and pay television channels in Britain. The broadcaster is reportedly expanding its presence in Europe with a new studio and production centre set to open in London by the end of the year.In 2012, Britain’s communications regulator, Ofcom, revoked Iranian state-owned Press TV’s license following a complaint by Newsweek journalist Maziar Bahari that the station aired an interview with him while he was detained. Bahari said he was forced to do a scripted interview with his captors, who threatened him with execution.The Associated Press