Black Stars Head Coach Kwesi Appiah has named his final 23-man squad for the upcoming AFCON in Egypt, with no place for FC Nantes forward Majeed Waris.The 27 year old misses out along with Hearts of Oak defender Mohammed Alhassan, Kotoko’s Abdul Fatawu, Yaw Yeboah and Ebenezer Ofori.Swansea City midfielder, André Ayew, will lead the Black Stars for this year’s tournament, which has been expanded to 24 teams from 16.The team also includes Kotoko shot stopper Felix Annan, Samuel Owusu and Kwabena Owusu who will be making their debuts at the tournament.The Black Stars will take on Bafana Bafana of South Africa on June 15 in their last pre tournament friendly in Dubai, before the team heads to Egypt.Squad List:Goalkeepers: Richard Ofori (Maritzburg United, South Africa, Lawrence Ati- Zigi (Sochaux, Montbeliard, France), and Felix Annan (Asante Kotoko, Ghana).DefendersAndy Yiadom (Reading, England), Abdul Baba Rahman (Reims, France), Lumor Agbenyenu (Goztepe A.S, Turkey), Kassim Nuhu, (Hoffeinham, Germany,) John Boye ( Metz France), Jonathan Mensah (Columbus Crew SC, USA), Joseph Aidoo (Genk, Belguim), Joseph Attamah (Basaksehir, Turkey)MidfieldersMubarak Wakaso (Deportivo Alaves, Spain), Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid, Spain), Kwadwo Asamoah (Internazionle, Italy), Afriyie Acquah (Empoli, Italy), Andre Ayew ( Fenerbache, Turkey), Christian Atsu (Newcastle United, England), Samuel Owusu (Cukaricki, Serbia), Thomas Agyepong (Hibernian, Scotland)AttackersAsamoah Gyan (Kayserispor, Turkey), Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace, England), Caleb Ekuban (Trabzonspor, Turkey and Kwabena Owusu (Leganes, Spain).
… but President says may be an error by Venezuelan militaryThe Government of Guyana is preparing to engage the United Nations (UN) Secretary General Ban Ki-moonPresident David Grangerafter it received the preliminary report into an incident on Monday, where three mines officers attached to the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission, while patrolling in the Cuyuni River, came under heavy gunfire from members of the Venezuelan Army.Based on preliminary reports, on Monday, May 30, 2016, around 17:30h, the three officers were returning from a monitoring and inspection exercise at Arau in the Cuyuni River, when the chartered boat in which they were travelling came under attack by Venezuelan soldiers, approximately one mile up from the Eteringbang Police Station.“This matter will be brought to the attention of Secretary General of the United Nations in his capacity as Good Officer under the Geneva Agreement and members of the UN and its Security Council will also be notified,” a statement from Guyana’s Foreign Affairs Ministry on Wednesday stated.Also, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said it has dispatched a Note Verbale to the Venezuelan Foreign Affairs Ministry, conveying the Government of Guyana’s “grave concern” over this incident.The note also called on the Venezuelan Government to “desist from such provocative and dangerous actions on the Guyana border,” adding that such actions can only lead to a destabilisation of relations.Meanwhile, speaking to the Guyanese media on Wednesday afternoon, President David Granger explained that Guyana Defence Force Chief-of-Staff, Brigadier Mark Phillips is in contact with the Venezuelan General.He however noted that based on information, the incident may have been an error on the part of the Venezuelan military stationed at the border.“We have received information that there might have been some error on the part of the Venezuelan national Armed Forces and the matter is now being investigated and we are working towards a resolution of the controversy and we are trying to find out what occurred but I wish to assure you that the situation is not deteriorating and it is not going to be generating into any confrontation,” the President, a former Army General stated.He quickly dismissed suggestions that the incident was deliberate, since also during Guyana’s independence celebrations last year, there were acts of aggression from Venezuela.“What occurred on the 26th of May, 2015, was deliberate and the promulgation of that decree. As you know, after [Caribbean Community] Caricom Heads of Government (meeting) the decree was withdrawn under pressure from the Caribbean Community and another decree was issued. I do not see it as a continuation, I do not think the two incidents are linked and like I said, right now, it’s too soon to tell and I would like to await information from the Chief-of-Staff who is in touch with the Venezuelans,” the President noted.Relations between Guyana and Venezuela have been tense over the past few months after the Bolivarian Republic continues to lay claim to over two thirds of Guyana’s territory, even though an 1899 Arbitration panel awarded the disputed Essequibo region to Guyana.In February 1966, just before Guyana was granted independence, in Geneva, Switzerland, the Governments of British Guiana, the United Kingdom and Venezuela signed an agreement to resolve its contentions, but Venezuela has sporadically raised the controversy it created.The controversy was reignited by Venezuela when the Government of Guyana granted access to the US-based oil exploration company ExxonMobil, allowing it to drill for oil in the Stabroek block offshore Essequibo.The Venezuelan Government was peeved at this move and made direct contact with the oil company, urging it to discontinue its attempt to carry out drilling activities in the area. Saying it had no part in the territorial issue, the oil company went ahead with its drilling activity.President Maduro later issued a decree on May 26, 2015, which purported to ratify maritime sovereignty over waters within 200 miles including the entire Atlantic Ocean off the Essequibo Coast as well as part of Suriname’s maritime territory and an area which is under dispute with Colombia.Guyana has been seeking the UN’s help in resolving the issue and has sought a juridical settlement if the UN process fails.
This map shows the approximate location of the fire near Cecil Lake.According to this morning’s update, the North Peace wildfire, which is believed to have started yesterday morning, now covers at least 200 hectares northwest of Cecil Lake.- Advertisement -This is Jilian Chimko, of the Prince George Fire Centre… [asset|aid=185|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=Chimko_2_Pub.mp3] In addition to the 2 air tankers, 3 unit crews, comprising approximately 60 firefighters, are fighting the blaze on the ground. One crew is from Fort St. John and the other two are from the Northwest Fire Centre. They’re using 2 pieces of heavy equipment and are being assisted by 3 helicopters.The reported fire location is about 40 km northeast of Cecil Lake and about 15 km east of the Osborne River. The Prince George Fire Centre also reports the fire danger rating in the North Peace remains at High, although the weather forecast indicates that could change in the next two or three days.