Room yields dead body

first_imgILOILO City – A man was found lifeless inBarangay Ortiz, City Proper. Investigators believe that the victimdied of an illness and ruled out foul play in Calvo’s death./PN Police said it was Calvo’s boarder RheaMae Gallarpe who found him. Calvo sustained no injuries, making thepolice dismiss the possibility of murder.center_img Report said that the victim wassuffering from diabetes. The body of 64-year-old Antonio Calvo, aboardinghouse owner, was discovered around 8 p.m. Nov. 27, police sad. last_img read more

Xenophobia: Madagascar cancel friendly match against South Africa

first_imgRelatedPosts CAF gives date for resumption of AFCON 2021, Qatar 2022 qualifiers Madagascar herb not cure for COVID-19, FG declares CAF, NFF salute Chukwueze at 21 Madagascar has pulled out of Saturday’s planned friendly match hastily arranged by the South African Football Association after their initial opponent Zambia pulled out of the friendly a few days ago. The Bafana Bafana were originally set to face Zambia in Lusaka, the capital of Zambia, as part of their warm-up fixtures before their Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in November, but the match was cancelled on Tuesday after Zambia withdrew, citing xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa. The South African Football Association hastily arranged a replacement with Madagascar and even announced free entry for supporters attending the fixture at Orlando Stadium in Soweto. However, the Malagasy Football Federation in a statement on Thursday afternoon said it is pulling out of the planned friendly, citing security reasons. The statement reads: “The Malagasy Football Federation (FMF) has been approached by the South African Football Federation (SAFA) to organize a friendly match between the national team of Madagascar and that of South Africa. “Honoured by this consideration, and finding the interesting opportunity to prepare the Malagasy national team for the different deadlines that await them, the FMF initially gave its agreement in principle for the organisation of the meeting. “However, after having agreed with Malagasy national institutions in particular regarding the security of the delegation of Madagascar and Malagasy nationals in South Africa, it was found necessary and judicious to decline the invitation. “The Malagasy national team will continue its reunion in Madagascar and will see its elements return to their respective clubs after the FIFA date. “Finally, the FMF apologises to SAFA for the efforts they have begun to organise the meeting, and also supporters of Malagasy football who looked forward to the match.” Bafana Bafana confirmed the cancellation of the match in a tweet by the South African FA.Tags: Africa Cup of NationsMadagascarMalagasy Football FederationSouth Africa Football AssociationZAMBIAlast_img read more

The Latest: Serie A will resume only when gov’t gives OK

first_imgThe Tour de Suisse has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, removing one of the few cycling events left on the calendar before the Tour de France is due to start.The nine-day Swiss race was scheduled to run from June 6-14 and is designed to give riders a chance to prepare for the three-week Tour de France. The French race is still scheduled to start on June 27.Colombian rider Egan Bernal won in Switzerland last year ahead of his first Tour de France title.Organizers in Switzerland say its “the first time since the Second World War that the traditional event will not take place.”They say “the risk of additional strain on the Swiss health system due to possible crashes during racing is high.” Associated Press Twelve athletes were arrested in Iten earlier this week for breaching Kenyan government regulations on social gatherings during the COVID-19 crisis. The runners were arrested for training in a group, which has been banned in Kenya. Training camps have been shut down and athletes must train alone.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Mental health experts who were supposed to be available to help American athletes at the Tokyo Olympics are being asked to start working now. The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee says the experts are leading discussions about mental health and wellness for athletes and staff in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Those same experts will also be on hand at the Tokyo Games, which have been postponed a year.The USOPC also disclosed the 13 members of a new external mental health task force created to support American athletes and coaches. It includes Olympians, doctors and the head of The Speedy Foundation, a mental-health organization named after the late Jeret “Speedy” Peterson, an Olympic silver medalist in aerials. That group is working with an internal group at the USOC being led by chief medical officer Jonathan Finnoff. The league had given a return date of April 30 amid the coronavirus outbreak but now says the season “will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.”It says there remained a “combined objective” for all remaining domestic league and cup matches to be played to maintain the integrity of each competition.The league also says it has consulted players over a pay deduction or deferral of 30%.It also voted to advance funds of 125 million pounds ($150 million) to clubs in the English Football League and fifth-tier National League.___ German soccer club Borussia Dortmund is converting part of its stadium into a treatment center amid the coronavirus pandemic.The Bundesliga club says a space inside Germany’s largest soccer stadium has been made available for medical staff to examine people with virus symptoms.The move comes after an influx of suspected coronavirus cases put existing facilities in the city of Dortmund under strain.The center will open on Saturday.___ Officials say they’re working to find a new date for the Preakness Stakes, the second jewel of horse racing’s Triple Crown.The Maryland Jockey Club and Stronach Group announced Friday that whenever the Preakness is run in 2020, it will go on without infield activities that had been one of the race’s biggest traditions. The Preakness was scheduled for May 16 in Baltimore.The organizations say in a joint statement finding a new date for the Preakness “will take into consideration all of the recommended best practices from local and governmental health authorities to protect our community.” The Kentucky Derby was postponed from May 2 to Sept. 5. No decision has yet been made on the Belmont Stakes, which is scheduled for June 6 at Belmont Park in New York.___The Lawn Tennis Association is giving up to 20 million pounds ($24 million) through grants and interest-free loans to help venues, coaches, officials, and players in Britain during the coronavirus pandemic. The league was set to open training camps on April 26 and the regular season was to begin on May 15. The WNBA will still hold a “virtual” draft on April 17.Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said in a statement. “While the league continues to use this time to conduct scenario-planning regarding new start dates and innovative formats, our guiding principle will continue to be the health and safety of the players, fans and employees.” The WNBA, which was set to begin its 24th season, is the longest running professional women’s sports league.___The Premier League has pushed back its restart date and says play will not resume at the beginning of May. World Triathlon has extended its suspension of all events from the end of April to the end of June because of the coronavirus outbreak.The latest events to be called off include the Yokohama leg of the world series, three African Cups, three American events, four Asian Cups, one event in Oceania and eight in Europe.World Triathlon president Marisol Casado says “the suspension of all activities doesn’t mean at all that we stop working” on finding alternative dates.___The WNBA has postponed the start of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic. On Friday, team officials emailed letters to those with payment plans, giving them a Wednesday deadline to accept the offer.The final two installments were initially due April 15 and May 15. The Colts have not announced any changes about the May payment.“In light of the unique circumstances right now, we have decided to modify the payment options for members of our season ticket family on payment plans,” the letter reads in part.The move comes one day after the Indiana High School Athletic Association canceled the entire spring sports season. State officials had previously announced all schools would remain closed for the rest of the academic year.___ The Italian league has been suspended since March 9, when the government ordered a nationwide lockdown.A new government decree issued this week prevents clubs from training — even in small groups — for at least another 10 days.Twelve rounds of Serie A remain, plus four games that were postponed from the weekend of Feb. 22. Also, the Italian Cup semifinals were interrupted after the first leg.Following a video conference meeting of all 20 Serie A clubs on Friday, the league said “it will await the decrees from the government and place in primary consideration taking care of the athletes’ health and all people involved.”___center_img He says no players or members of the coaching staff have shown any symptoms or been tested. Pierce said Friday he doesn’t know the identity of those who were tested. He said at least 18 or 19 days have passed since any members of the team would have had contact with the employees.“Everyone that has been tested, the symptoms they had or reported, they do feel better,” Pierce said. He said he has “become a master of this Zoom app” while having video conferencing with players, assistants and other NBA coaches.___The NFL’s Indianapolis Colts are giving season-ticket holders the option to defer April’s payment until June 15. Singles players world ranked from 101 to 750 and doubles players ranked from 101 to 250 — who are not already receiving funding — are eligible for grants, and there will be increased prize money for British tour events if the tours resume. This week, Wimbledon was canceled and the tours suspended the British grass-court season.Most of the focus of the LTA package is on protecting the grassroots, including continued funding for development centers and the two national academies, and supporting full-time coaches.Chief executive Scott Lloyd and the executive team will take temporary pay cuts of 20%, while some staff will be furloughed next week but will be paid 80% of their salary.___Atlanta Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce says team employees have been tested after exhibiting symptoms for the new coronavirus. April 3, 2020 ___The world heavyweight title fight between Anthony Joshua and Kubrat Pulev on June 20 has been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.The fight was scheduled to take place at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London and will be Joshua’s first defense of his IBF, WBA, WBO belts since he regained them from Andy Ruiz Jr.Joshua’s promoter, Matchroom Boxing, says a new date for the fight is being worked on.___ More than a dozen U.S. Olympic and Paralympic athletes received reassurance this week when Toyota North America announced it would extend their endorsement contracts through the rescheduled Tokyo Games in 2021.The auto company and major Olympic sponsor has 17 U.S. athletes under contract. They include swimmer David Boudia, gymnast Laurie Hernandez, Paralympian Oksana Masters and sprinter Michael Norman.The status of endorsement contracts is a major concern to athletes because most signed deals that were set to expire after this year’s scheduled Olympics. They have been rescheduled for 2021 and that has forced corporations to reset and rethink the structure of their deals.Visa is another major sponsor and has also told its global roster of nearly 100 Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls that it will extend sponsorships through 2021.___ The Latest: Serie A will resume only when gov’t gives OK ___The Russian anti-doping agency is preparing to freeze all testing until May to comply with new government measures shutting down work deemed non-essential.RUSADA deputy CEO Margarita Pakhnotskaya tells The Associated Press that her agency is looking for possible exemptions to instructions from President Vladimir Putin for all Russians except those working in essential sectors to stay home through April 30.Pakhnotskaya says in a text message that she “will check on Monday the possibility to receive special permission” from government bodies for staff to collect samples from athletes. There will be no testing this month if that isn’t granted.Testing has been suspended since March 27 under a previous round of measures. Isolation measures around the world have led to a sharp drop in anti-doping tests. That’s led to warnings that some athletes could take advantage of the situation. The World Anti-Doping Agency says it is trying to track gaps in testing.___Former marathon world record holder Wilson Kipsang was among 20 people arrested in Kenya for locking themselves in a bar and drinking alcohol in breach of a curfew imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic.Police say the 2012 Olympic bronze medalist was among those detained at a police station in Iten, one of Kenya’s famous high-altitude towns where distance runners train. They were in breach of a 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew. The group included a local politician.Kipsang, who is also a police officer, was provisionally suspended this year from track and field and charged with doping offenses that include tampering with doping samples. He has also won the New York, London and Berlin marathons. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Serie A says it will consider resuming only “when health conditions permit it.”last_img read more

National Team of B&H in Mini Football in the Semi-Finals of Euro

first_imgNational team of B&H n Mini football qualified for the semi-finals of the European Championship that is being held in Croatia.After they defeated the national team of Spain on penalties, BH national players defeated today in Zagreb the selection of Poland.Although they were losing during the most of the match, thans to the goals of Marko Vujica and Josip Kupreskic, B&H came to equalizing and penalties.As well as against Spain, B&H was better in penalties against Poland (4:2).Today, B&H played the semi-final meeting against Croatia at 4.00 p.m.(Source: klix.ba)last_img read more

PNG secure spot in Olympic football play-off with fourth straight Pacific Games gold medal

first_imgIn what was a gold medal contest that will not live long in the memory, Kaipu capitalised on a costly error by New Caledonia goalkeeper Honorine Pouidja to fire home from close range in the 21st minute, which proved to be the game’s solitary goal.New Caledonia had nearly 70 minutes to fight their way back into the match but were unable to find an answer as they suffered a second consecutive final defeat to Papua New Guinea.The result for the hosts maintains their monopoly of the event at the Pacific Games as they have won every gold medal since the sport was introduced onto the programme at Suva in 2003.Their victory prompted joyous scenes at the final whistle in front of the best crowd the Sir Hubert Murray Stadium has seen at these Games, with desolation evident on the faces of the New Caledonian side after falling short once again.The game’s crucial moment came after 21 minutes when Pouidja could only parry a weak Papua New Guinea effort straight into the path of Kaipu, who made no mistake to give her side an early advantage.Chances were then few and far between as New Caledonia struggled to react to the setback of going behind, with the hosts content to sit back and soak up pressure before counter-attacking when their opponents ventured forward.That trend continued after the restart, with the 2011 silver medallists still struggling to fashion any real clear-cut opportunities, and in the end Papua New Guinea were able to hold out for a deserved win to add yet another gold to their country’s medal tally.Earlier on, Cook Islands ensured they finished their tournament on a high as they clinched their first-ever Pacific Games football medal with a comfortable 2-0 win over Samoa in the bronze medal match.Tepaeru Toka edged her side in front just before the break, with Maeve Carr netting the second just after the restart and despite a lack of experience at this level, they were able to cling on for a famous victory.“This is 100 times better than amazing,” Toka said.“It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”….PACNEWSlast_img read more

Brown to miss another month

first_img“For us, we’re trying to get to that point as well, and for us to come into this building and come out of here with a `W,’ I think that would do wonders for our confidence.” If the Lakers can win tonight, they would keep alive their chances of a successful 6-2 trip. If they lose, they would have to win one of their final two games to head home with a 4-4 split. Jackson doesn’t like his memories of how the Lakers played the last time they faced the Pistons, either. They had few answers for the zone defense Detroit played for three-plus quarters in a 97-83 Pistons win on Nov. 10 at Staples Center. “Their zone, it was weak,” Jackson said. “That was probably the worst performance I’ve seen a Lakers team play in their building.” [email protected] (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Brown already has missed 18 games since he suffered the injury Dec. 31 against Philadelphia. The loss of Brown has forced 19-year-old Andrew Bynum into the starting lineup, a spot he will hold for the foreseeable future. The Lakers had hoped Brown might be able to return on this eight-game trip. The team has been burdened by injuries all season – Smush Parker is the only starter not to miss a game – and it is waiting for Luke Walton to return from a sprained ankle as well. AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Lakers center Kwame Brown flew back to Los Angeles after seeing a specialist in Indianapolis for a second opinion on his severely sprained left ankle and is expected to be out at least another month. The Lakers said the doctor confirmed that Brown has a severe sprain and a bone bruise. They declined to set a timetable for his return, but a source said Brown was told he will be out another four to six weeks. center_img Before his team hit the road last week, Lakers coach Phil Jackson joked about still hearing the echoes of the Detroit fans who kept him awake at night during the 2004 NBA Finals. They stood atop the parking garage opposite Jackson’s hotel room and left his ears ringing at 2 a.m. with chants of “L.A. Sucks.” Little wonder that Jackson opted to spend an extra off night in Atlanta this week instead of the Detroit suburbs. The Lakers lost all three games of those Finals on the road and have not won at the Palace of Auburn Hills since Jan. 8, 2002, a span of seven games that has led to more than a few nights of lost sleep. Maybe it’s only fitting that the arena will be the site for the pivotal game tonight on the Lakers’ longest trip since December 1989. “I think a win here would be big for us just from a confidence perspective,” Kobe Bryant said, “because Detroit is such an experienced team, extremely savvy and they play well together. last_img