When will the NBA season restart? League’s coronavirus issues converging as decision time nears

first_imgBontemps reported that the league told teams in a memo that “for the time being, it is not appropriate in the current public health environment to regularly test all players and staff for the coronavirus.”Access to tests remains a vexing issue for the NBA while the United States continues to deal with an overall shortage of kits. Bontemps’ colleague Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the league estimates it will need 15,000 test kits if it were to return to action.MORE: LeBron makes it clear that he wants season to resumeThe league’s guidance on not testing possible asymptomatic carriers is notable because people who don’t display COVID-19 symptoms can still spread the disease.Wojnarowski’s reporting also included speculation on when the 2020-21 season might begin. Sources told him that there is “support” for starting next season in December and ending it in late summer 2021. A change to a Christmas opening had support long before the coronavirus disrupted this season, notably from Hawks CEO Steve Koonin, but the current crisis gives the league cover to drastically alter its calendar going forward and keep itself from competing with the NFL for attention during the season’s early months.With the league not close to playing games again, concerns about when the NBA Draft will take place are growing. Sources told Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer that they expect the draft to be moved from June 25 to August or September, to align with a possible summer conclusion to the season. A lot of NBA news has surfaced just ahead of the May 1 target date for the league to begin making decisions about the 2019-20 season.The biggest item came from ESPN’s Tim Bontemps, who reported that the league has advised teams not to have asymptomatic players and staff tested for COVID-19. DeCOURCY: Teams won’t spend time on many draft early entrants Whether the season is played to a conclusion will depend on whether the league believes it will be safe to resume play in the near future. There’s also the logistical hurdle of finding neutral-site facilities to replace teams’ arenas. Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium reported that Walt Disney World outside Orlando is a candidate to become a “bubble” site where the entire league can be housed. Las Vegas remains under consideration as well.All of this will need to be decided soon, perhaps beginning Friday, if the NBA wants to keep playing this season.last_img read more

SOME GOOD NEWS AT LAST – DONEGAL CATCH TO GO UP 200%

first_imgTHE Donegal fishing industry looks a lot better this weekend after the Government won major concessions from Europe – with haddock takes by our county fishermen increased by a massive 200% next year.Fishing organisations have described the outcome of crucial talks in Brussels as a “good day for Ireland and its fishing industry”.They praised Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney, who said it could be worth up to €250m next year – with 36,000 tonnes of whitefish allowed to be landed and 150,000 tonnes of pelagic fish like herrings and tuna allowed to be caught. The country’s sea prawn farming industry will also resume.Quotas increase by 77% for cod off the south east and 200% off Donegal. Haddock is also up 200%.Sean O’Donoghue of the Killybegs Fishermens Association said: “Minister Coveney has delivered in spades, this was his first outing, we had five key priorities and we’ve got four if not four-and-a-half of them”.Mr O’Donoghue added: “There were arbitrary cuts proposed by the European Commission and these have been removed, there had been significant increases in key stock quotas including a 200% increase in haddock along with smaller increases for cod off the northwest coast.” “Not everyone will be satisfied, but from Monday Irish vessels will be able to put to sea and fish until the end of the year and into January. Previously, this was not the case,” said Lorcán Ó Cinnéide of the Irish Fish Producers Association“We were afraid there would be no cod quota for the Irish Sea at all, and while it’s been reduced there, at least there is a quota. This is critical to make money, to run a business.”Minister Simon Coveney described the outcome as a “record” one for Ireland which could see next year’s fishing opportunities reach €250m in value.“The measures agreed in these negotiations will maximise employment and economic activity in our coastal communities,” he added.© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com SOME GOOD NEWS AT LAST – DONEGAL CATCH TO GO UP 200% was last modified: December 18th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:EU negotiationsfishing industryGreencastleKillybegslast_img read more