The agency said investigators are still trying to find out why human cases have been associated with dry pet food. Factors being considered include handling and storage of dry pet food, handwashing practices, exposure of children to dry pet food, and the location in the home where pets are fed. Sixty-six people in 18 states have been infected with the same strain of Salmonella Schwarzengrund, and reports of new cases are continuing, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in a statement. The Food and Drug Administration had said earlier that two samples of dry dog food made by Mars Petcare US, Inc., had tested positive for S Schwarzengrund, but no direct link between the company’s products and the human cases had been found. Aug 28 CDC statementhttp://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/schwarzengrund.html “Households with ill persons were significantly more likely than matched households without ill persons to usually purchase a brand of dry pet food made by Mars Petcare US that may have been produced at a single facility in Pennsylvania,” the CDC said. In addition, the Pennsylvania Department of Health found the outbreak strain in an environmental sample from the Mars Petcare facility in Pennsylvania, the statement said. The CDC said 25 of the 66 salmonellosis cases reported so far occurred in Pennsylvania, with 12 in New York, 6 in Ohio, 5 in Massachusetts, and 1 or 2 in each of the other states affected. See also: Aug 29, 2007 (CIDRAP News) Further investigation has strengthened the evidence of a link between recently recalled dog food products and human Salmonella infections, US health officials reported yesterday. The CDC, however, said yesterday that the outbreak strain of S Schwarzengrund was found in fecal specimens from two dogs that ate dry pet food in the homes of two case-patients. In addition, a multistate case-control study showed a link between illness and the purchase of dry pet foods made by Mars Petcare, the agency said. Aug 28 CIDRAP News story “Outbreak strain of Salmonella found in dog food” Of the patients for whom information was available, 39% were 1 year old or younger and 32% experienced bloody diarrhea. Ten patients were hospitalized, but none died, the CDC reported.
The fifth edition of one of the best tourist stories in Croatia – Istria Wine & Walk has been announcedThe traditional spring Istria Wine and Walk, organized by the cluster of northwestern Istria, brings its new edition. The fantastic Istrian story, which has been taken over by other parts of Croatia, will once again provide pleasure for all the senses.”We are especially proud that our Istria Wine and Walk has become a kind of benchmark in the organization of similar eno-gastronomic events. We have prepared another top wine adventure for our guests, with a handful of fun surprises that will surely result in a great atmosphere.”, Milovan Popovic points out, Director of the Tourist Board of the City of Umag.The start is scheduled for the morning from Trg Sv. Servula in Buje, where all participants will receive the necessary instructions, and embark on this unique adventure. Every 20 minutes, the bus takes the gathered for an enticing walk and gourmet pleasure. The refreshment stations will offer wines from Istrian winemakers: Kozlović, Celega, Ravalico, Coronica, Cattunar, Cuj, Veralda, A. Bassanese, Franković, and the gourmet part will be provided by: Oštarija Rondo, Restaurant Oliveto, OPG Radošević, OPG Buršić, OPG Duniš, Primizia food & wine, Konoba Morgan and Veralda. At the finish, Trg Sv. Servula in Buje, is expected to continue eno-gastronomic gathering for all participants of the event, but also other visitors, with live music and a party until the night.So simple, authentic and great. And yes, all tickets are sold out long before the start online.Related news:
Four years ago, Bongekile Msibi, already a mother of a now 15-year-old girl, consulted a doctor after trying unsuccessfully to have a second child.She was shocked, shattered and bewildered, she said, when the doctor told her that she could not conceive because she did not have a uterus.”I couldn’t comprehend what the doctor was saying. How possible is that because I have [had] a baby [before]?” the 32-year-old told AFP, holding back tears. “That means I had a uterus.”She traced her steps back to the only hospital she had ever been admitted to, Johannesburg’s Chris Hani Baragwanath, one of the largest healthcare centers in Africa.There, she said that an obstetrician nonchalantly told her that her uterus was removed after she delivered her baby in 2005.She is one of dozens of women whose lives were wrecked by forced sterilization conducted at 15 public hospitals in the country’s largest provinces of Gauteng and Kwa-Zulu Natal, a recent investigation found. ‘Playing God’But “the department lacks empathy and sympathy, they are very insensitive”, she said.”It’s as if they just removed a nail and it will grow back. You are just treated like someone who is annoying,” Msibi said, at her house in the district of Boksburg, east of Johannesburg.”I can’t just sit back and be okay with the fact that I don’t have a uterus, I don’t even know why I don’t have a uterus.””There is that feeling that, ‘I’m not complete'”.After the report was published, the health ministry agreed to meet the complainants, but that brings little comfort to the women.Msibi, like many of the other victims, broke up with her partner after the shocking revelation.”My relationship with my ex-fiancé ended, we had to break up because he wanted children and I could not give him children,” a teary eyed Msibi said, accusing the doctors of taking “advantage” of women and playing “God”.”They feel entitled to do whatever they want to do,” she said.The national health ministry has noted the report.As well as having agreed to meet the complainants, Lwazi Manzi, the ministry’s spokeswoman, said it was trying to arrange a meeting with the gender commission.But the CGE wants the Health Professions Council of South Africa to investigate the medical professionals involved. ‘Cruel, torturous, inhumane’ In a scathing report published last week where it documented 48 cases of coerced sterilizations, South Africa’s Commission for Gender Equality (CGE) said it uncovered “cruel, torturous or inhumane and degrading treatment” targeting black women who were mostly HIV positive.The procedures — mostly undocumented in the hospitals’ records — were conducted on women who gave birth via caesarean section between 2002 and 2015.While Msibi is not HIV-positive, she was just 17 years old at the time of the procedure.When she returned to the hospital in 2016, she was told the step had been taken to save her life — although nobody had informed her of this at the time.South African health laws forbid forced or coerced sterilization, although doctors may sterilize without consent in special circumstances, to save a life.Tamara Mathebula, who heads the CGE, told AFP that the probe revealed that in most cases healthcare professionals told patients that sterilization was necessary “because you are HIV-positive, because you have TB [tuberculosis], because we feel you have too many babies… you are poor, we can’t allow you to continue”.But “that’s not the compelling reason for a doctor or a nurse, to tie your tubes, or to take out your uterus,” she said.In testimonies to the commission, victims claimed that hospital staff had threatened to deny them medical attention if they refused to sign the consent papers, the report said.Others were forced to sign while in “extreme pain”, unaware of what they were consenting to, it added.But for Msibi, there was no consent form, nor were there records to show what procedure was done on her.For the past three years, she has waged an uphill battle — writing to, and staging a sit-in at, the health department — in search of answers about her missing uterus. Topics :
Frans van Dorsten, the pension fund’s chair, said Nationale Nederlanden would – in a one-off measure – compensate 91% of the indexation pensioners and deferred participants had missed so far.In addition, the insurer will pay an annual indexation varying from 1.35% to 1.8%, depending on the pension arrangements for the deferred members and pensioners within the pension fund.According to Centraal Beheer APF, the employer will pay €4m for additional inflation compensation for its workers.Thier indexation perspective was already good as the pension fund’s coverage ratio was 130% when the deal with Centraal Beheer APF was concluded, according to the chair.At the end of 2018, Chemours’s company scheme had €1.2bn of assets under management. The Dutch branch of chemical giant Chemours is to place €330m of pension assets of its 475 workers with the consolidation vehicle (APF) of Achmea subsidiary Centraal Beheer.In a press release, APF said that Chemours’ staff pensions will be housed in an individual compartment, which is to receive annual contributions of €7m.Last summer, the pension fund announced it would move €820m worth of pension rights of its pensioners and deferred participants to Dutch insurer Nationale Nederlanden.The pension fund said dividing pension rights of active participants on one hand, and deferred members and pensioners on the other hand across different managers, would make it easier to recover the inflation compensation in arrears for the two latter groups.
Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter In dugouts, only active reserves would be permitted, while other inactive players or support staff would sit in the stands or elsewhere. All non-playing personnel would wear masks in dugouts.There would be no mound visits, no exchanging of lineup cards and no spitting, high-fives, fist-bumps or hugs. Players would be encouraged to wash hands after handling equipment or leaving the field between innings.Away from the ballpark, players would not be strictly quarantined, but they would be encouraged to isolate from all except their immediate families. They would be discouraged from using any public transportation or ride sharing services.While all of this is subject to approval by the players, this represents only a portion of the negotiation surrounding the sport’s return.Owners are also asking players to agree to a 50-50 split of revenue, which likely would mean further reduction in their salaries beyond the pro-rated payments mandated in their March agreement.The two parties agreed that the players would be paid their normal salaries for whatever percentage of the games are played. However, owners contend that agreement was contingent on games being played with fans. Without fans in the ballparks, the clubs’ revenue would further be slashed and they propose that players bear some of that burden. Players argue that the agreement was not contingent on fans, and should not be renegotiated.Related Articles If Major League Baseball players are to return to action this summer, they will be playing in an environment that looks significantly different from what they left in March.Aside from the expected diligent testing and temperature checks, the changes include everything from pitchers bringing their own baseballs to the bullpen, wearing masks in the dugout and limitations on spitting.Players will even be discouraged from taking showers at the ballpark.It’s all part of a 67-page document that Major League Baseball submitted to the Players Association, detailing the health and safety protocols they propose in order to have the sport return safely amid the coronavirus pandemic. The report was obtained by The Athletic and ESPN, which reported details on Saturday. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros MLB has proposed having an abbreviated training period for a few weeks in June, followed by a regional-based 82-game schedule beginning around July 4. The games would be played at the teams’ home ballparks, when allowed by local laws, at least initially with no fans in attendance.Although eliminating crowds is the primary concession made to the coronavirus pandemic, the plan spells out numerous ways that the players and staff will try to prevent the spread of the virus among themselves.The plan calls for regular testing of all players, umpires and staff members, mostly using saliva tests. There would also be twice-daily temperature checks. MLB personnel would be asked to perform daily temperature checks at home.Someone who tests positive would self-isolate at home.Clubhouses would be restructured to allow six-foot separation between players at their lockers, and in-person meetings would be discouraged.