In America’s Wind Corridor, a Boom Imperils Coal

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享E&E News:In the nation’s wind corridor, power purchase agreements are being signed for less than 2 cents a kilowatt-hour. Even adding transmission costs, wind energy is undercutting competition from existing coal and nuclear plants.Clean energy advocates and research analysts pointed out the trend in recent reports. A Moody’s Investors Service report this spring estimated that 56 gigawatts of coal capacity in the Great Plains is “at risk” from cheaper wind energy. Yesterday, the Union of Concerned Scientists identified 57 GW of coal generation that is uneconomical compared with gas-fired generation.Utilities are backing it up with their own numbers. Last month, Ameren Missouri, a coal-dependent utility with 1.2 million customers, filed a long-range plan with state regulators that showed the leveled cost of energy from new wind projects, including the federal production tax credit, was below the cost of energy from the company’s existing coal and nuclear plants.The data in the utility’s integrated resource plan support the decision to add 700 megawatts of wind energy by the end of the decade (Energywire, Sept. 26). Ameren does not, however, plan to accelerate retirement of any coal plants.The announcement is just one in a long list of new wind additions by utilities from West Texas to the Dakotas.In nearly every instance, utility decisions to invest in new wind farms are driven by low costs and the ability to add generation and hedge fuel costs without raising customer bills.Take Minneapolis-based Xcel Energy Inc. The company already operates 4 GW of wind energy and will increase that to more than 10 GW after announced projects are completed.“None of that is being driven based on [environmental] compliance,” said Jonathan Adelman, Xcel’s area vice president of strategic resource and business planning. “Economics are driving it.”More: Carbon rule or not, wind energy continues to squeeze coal In America’s Wind Corridor, a Boom Imperils Coallast_img read more

Sunman man injured in Dearborn County crash

first_imgDearborn County, In. — A two-vehicle crash injured a Sunman man over the weekend.Sunday at 3:41 p.m. police were called to State Road 48 at Possum Ridge Road. A car driven by Samuel Gabbard, of Aurora, failed to stop at the intersection and drove into the path of Lonnie Hickey, of Sunman. The impact caused the Hickey vehicle to roll several times.Hickey was flown to University of Cincinnati Hospital. His condition is not known.The accident remains under investigation.last_img

Wellington police notes: Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2014

first_imgWellington Police notes for Tuesday, January 14, 2014•10:40 a.m. Aaron K Campbell, 29, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with possession of certain stimulant.•12:27 p.m. Officer investigated a theft of tools by deception in the 100 block N. Washington, Wellington.•3:57 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to mailbox in the 1100 block E. Harvey, Wellington.•10:00 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1100 block N. A, Wellington.last_img read more

Pressure mounts on Lopetegui as Madrid beaten by Levante

first_imgShare on: WhatsApp “I told the guys talent has its limits, but faith and conviction do not,” Lopez said. “This team believes in what they are doing.”– Scatty Madrid –Levante were two up in 13 minutes and both came from Varane mistakes. The first was more blatant as he misjudged the flight of Sergio Postigo’s through ball, allowing Morales to nick it round Thibaut Courtois and fire into the open net.It got worse as Varane handled and VAR advised the error had been inside the box. Roger converted the penalty.For the rest of the half, Madrid were scatty and imprecise, their finishing spoiled by bad luck but a lack of composure too.VAR proved their undoing again, ruling Marco Asensio’s follow-up offside after Casemiro headed against the crossbar. Mariano was also denied by the woodwork while Ramos and Lucas Vazquez missed from three yards.At half-time, there were a scattering of white handkerchiefs — the traditional expression of discontent — but more whistles. After the restart, the home fans sang “echale huevos”, meaning, “play with some balls”.Lopetegui had thrown Bale on at the interval while Benzema and Dani Ceballos were introduced on the hour. Not before the 56th minute, when Madrid’s drought became their longest ever.Benzema shot straight at Oier Olazabal, who then pushed a bending Bale free-kick wide. Finally, Madrid scored, with that pair involved again as Bale flicked on to Benzema and Marcelo drove home.Madrid believed as Benzema struck the far post with a curling effort and Mariano thought he had grabbed an equaliser in the 87th minute. The striker, however, had strayed just offside. For Madrid, it was not to be. Madrid, Spain | AFP | Real Madrid failed to ease the pressure on coach Julen Lopetegui and instead set the record for the longest goal-drought in the club’s history during a surprise 2-1 defeat by Levante on Saturday.Madrid have now gone five games without a victory and by the time Marcelo gave them hope of a comeback at the Santiago Bernabeu, they had gone 481 minutes without a goal too.The club’s previous worst run had been 464 minutes, in 1985.For a team that prides itself on flair and flamboyance, it is a streak that reflects just as badly on Lopetegui as the results, which could leave Real Madrid four points adrift of Barcelona later on Saturday, with a ‘Clasico’ to come next weekend at the Camp Nou.Asked about his future, Lopetegui said: “It is the last thing I am thinking about. I am thinking only about lifting the players.”If Barca’s players were watching, they would have been licking their lips at the sight of Raphael Varane handing Levante a two-goal lead here after just 13 minutes. Jose Luis Morales and Roger Marti, from the penalty spot, were the beneficiaries.At the final whistle, Lopetegui stood on the touchline, with his hands on his hips, staring ahead in disbelief.He had left Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema on the bench, perhaps due to fitness issues, and the gamble backfired, despite both making a difference when brought on in the second half.Lopetegui had cited a lack of luck in recent weeks and Madrid were not blessed with it here. They hit the crossbar twice and the post once. They suffered a two-goal swing as a result of the Video Assistant Referee, one against called as a penalty, and one ruled out for offside.“I’m sure football will eventually give back to us what it is taking away,” Lopetegui said.But a single goal, from their 30-year-old left-back, in over eight hours is no fluke, and neither are the defensive lapses that could have seen Levante add more to their early double.Paco Lopez took charge of Levante in March and oversaw eight wins from 11 to avoid relegation. This season they are now seventh, a point behind Madrid.last_img read more

2 Chinese men plead guilty to photographing US Navy base Posted

first_imgAccording to court records, two Chinese men have pleaded guilty to illegally taking photographs at a Florida Navy base.24-year-old Jielun Zhang and Yuhao Wang, pleaded guilty on Tuesday in Key West federal court.Zhang, and Wang were charged with illegally photographing a U.S. defense installation, and they each face a year in prison plus a $100,00 fine.Since 2018, four Chinese nationals have been caught taking pictures of Key West military bases.last_img