The agency said investigators are still trying to find out why human cases have been associated with dry pet food. Factors being considered include handling and storage of dry pet food, handwashing practices, exposure of children to dry pet food, and the location in the home where pets are fed. Sixty-six people in 18 states have been infected with the same strain of Salmonella Schwarzengrund, and reports of new cases are continuing, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in a statement. The Food and Drug Administration had said earlier that two samples of dry dog food made by Mars Petcare US, Inc., had tested positive for S Schwarzengrund, but no direct link between the company’s products and the human cases had been found. Aug 28 CDC statementhttp://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/schwarzengrund.html “Households with ill persons were significantly more likely than matched households without ill persons to usually purchase a brand of dry pet food made by Mars Petcare US that may have been produced at a single facility in Pennsylvania,” the CDC said. In addition, the Pennsylvania Department of Health found the outbreak strain in an environmental sample from the Mars Petcare facility in Pennsylvania, the statement said. The CDC said 25 of the 66 salmonellosis cases reported so far occurred in Pennsylvania, with 12 in New York, 6 in Ohio, 5 in Massachusetts, and 1 or 2 in each of the other states affected. See also: Aug 29, 2007 (CIDRAP News) Further investigation has strengthened the evidence of a link between recently recalled dog food products and human Salmonella infections, US health officials reported yesterday. The CDC, however, said yesterday that the outbreak strain of S Schwarzengrund was found in fecal specimens from two dogs that ate dry pet food in the homes of two case-patients. In addition, a multistate case-control study showed a link between illness and the purchase of dry pet foods made by Mars Petcare, the agency said. Aug 28 CIDRAP News story “Outbreak strain of Salmonella found in dog food” Of the patients for whom information was available, 39% were 1 year old or younger and 32% experienced bloody diarrhea. Ten patients were hospitalized, but none died, the CDC reported.
Feb 5, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today confirmed that a 29-year-old Indonesian woman recently died of H5N1 avian influenza and that another Indonesian, a 38-year-old woman, is hospitalized with the disease.The 29-year-old woman was from Tangerang, the same western suburb of Jakarta where several of Indonesia’s most recent H5N1 case-patients lived. She fell ill on Jan 22, was hospitalized 6 days later, and died on Feb 2, according to a WHO statement. She is listed as the country’s 125th case-patient and its 103rd fatality.The WHO said an investigation into the source of her illness was under way. Lili Sulistyowati, a spokeswoman from Indonesia’s health ministry, said the woman’s neighbors raised chickens, but it’s not known if the birds were infected with the H5N1 virus, according to a report yesterday from Xinhua, China’s state news agency.The WHO also announced that the 38-year-old woman, who is from West Jakarta, is in critical condition. She became ill Jan 24 and was hospitalized 2 days later. She is now confirmed as Indonesia’s 126th H5N1 case-patient, according to the WHO.The source of the woman’s illness is also still under investigation, the WHO said. Sulistyowati told Xinhua that a week ago the woman visited her parents, who live next to a family that raises ducks.Indonesia has been hit hardest of any country by the H5N1 virus. The WHO’s global H5N1 count stands at 359 cases and 226 deaths.See also:Feb 5 WHO statement
“Second, a growing perception of diminished fiscal and monetary policy space in many major economies could damage confidence in authorities’ ability to respond to shocks.”The economy is now expected to contract by up to 7.0 percent instead of 4.0 percent as projected in March “in view of the deterioration in the external demand outlook” and the partial lockdown imposed domestically, the ministry said.”Notwithstanding the downgrade, there continues to be a significant degree of uncertainty over the length and severity of the COVID-19 outbreak, as well as the trajectory of the economic recovery,” it warned.Singapore’s central bank in March eased monetary policy to support the virus-hit economy.Topics : Officials say they may start relaxing the rules from early June but many restrictions will remain.Lockdowns to contain the virus in major markets such as the United States, Europe and China have crippled demand for exports, and a halt in international air travel has hammered Singapore’s key tourism sector.”There remain significant uncertainties in the global economy,” the trade ministry said in a statement.”First, there is a risk that subsequent waves of infections in major economies such as the US and Eurozone may further disrupt economic activity,” it said. Singapore’s economy, a bellwether for global trade, could shrink by as much as 7.0 percent this year, as the coronavirus pandemic throttles demand, the government said Tuesday.The trade ministry downgraded its forecast as official data showed gross domestic product (GDP) fell by 0.7 percent year-on-year in the first quarter to March, and by 4.7 percent compared with the previous quarter.Like many other countries, Singapore has ordered the closure of most businesses, advised people to stay at home, and banned large gatherings.
Hong Kong will extend strict social distancing measures from midnight on Wednesday, ordering masks in all indoor public areas including malls and markets, as the global financial hub reported a daily record increase of novel coronavirus cases.Hong Kong tightened social distancing measures in July after a spike of locally transmitted cases and as authorities warned about a third wave of infections.”This is the most critical time for Hong Kong. We ask citizens to be patient and stay at home as much as possible,” Health Secretary Sophia Chan said. Commenting on the spike in cases, she said people had become more relaxed and were going out more without wearing masks. The new order for masks in indoor public places would be for two weeks.Hong Kong reported 113 coronavirus cases on Wednesday, a new daily record, including 105 locally transmitted infections.Since late January, more than 2,000 people have been infected in Hong Kong, 14 of whom have died.Chan said the closure of 12 types of venues including gyms and entertainment centers would continue until July 28, as would a ban on dining in restaurants after 6 p.m. Topics :