Bengals’ Johnson is silent

first_imgCINCINNATI – Now that Chad Johnson has reached the NFL’s biggest stage, he’s got nothing to say. The Bengals’ top receiver and best showman intimated again Wednesday that he’s been muffled by a head coach trying to get his team focused for its first playoff appearance in 15 years. That was it. And that was fine with coach Marvin Lewis, who has tried various ways to subdue a player who keeps inventing new ways – a Pepto-Bismol shipment, a Terrible Towel bib – to tweak the next opponent. Finally, silence. “Wow. After 17 weeks! Man!” Lewis said Wednesday, breaking into a huge smile. “Don’t put Marvin Lewis in that decision. Good decision by Chad. He wants to focus on the week, and that’s good.” Johnson insists it’s not his idea. Earlier in the week, Johnson told reporters that “higher authority” – his code words for the head coach – ordered him to keep quiet all week. Nothing had changed Wednesday. Usually the center of attention in the locker room, Johnson declined interviews with a sorrowful shake of his head. He was a solitary figure, eating a plate of chicken and rice while teammates talked freely about their first-round game Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Asked if he would talk to the media at all, Johnson said, “Only if you pay my fine.” center_img So, while receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh gave his insights into the game at an adjoining locker, Johnson sat by himself and ate lunch. The AFC’s top receiver wore a Bengals stocking cap, an AFC North Champions T-shirt and a glum expression. He didn’t interact with teammates or watch what was happening around him in the locker room. When reporters approached, he merely shook his head. The only time he talked was when someone called him on his cell phone. It was totally out of character. “Hopefully he’ll have a lot to say after the game,” Houshmandzadeh said. Everyone else will have a lot to say leading up to it. The Bengals (11-5) and Steelers (11-5) split their season series, each winning on the other team’s field. Cincinnati took control of the division with a 38-31 win at Heinz Field on Dec. 4, leaving the Steelers in danger of missing the playoffs. Pittsburgh won its last four games, building momentum along the way. By contrast, the Bengals lost their last two games by a combined 72-30, raising concerns and prompting Lewis to get tough. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Ohio’s National Agriscience Fair results

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Ohio also had a solid showing in the National Agriscience Fair.Holly Schmenk, Patrick Henry, was first place in Food Products and Processing Systems Division 1.Kolbie Brandenburg and Abigail Fulton, Felicity-Franklin, were second in Animal Systems Division 3.Grace Lach, Bloom Carroll, was third in Plant Systems Division 1Jarrett Crowthers and Jenna Jackels, Edgewood-Butler Tech, were third in Plant Systems Division 3Rebecca Helt, Global Impact STEM Academy of Ohio FFA Association, was third in Social Systems Division 2.last_img read more

Perlas embracing tough challenge at Fiba Asia Women’s Cup

first_imgPagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Adamson breaks skid, stops Power Smashers for first win Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Photo from FibaAsia.comThe odds are stacked against the Philippine women’s national basketball team heading into the 2017 Fiba Women’s Asia Cup after being drawn in the same group with tournament favorites Japan and Australia.But more than facing a daunting task, Perlas Pilipinas coach Pat Aquino feels facing the top teams in Asia and Oceania is a big challenge that the team should embrace.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena MOST READcenter_img Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games “It’s the way to level up. The only thing that can happen to us is to go up. It’s a challenge for us to compete with that kind of level,” Aquino told reporters during the PSA Forum Tuesday.Japan is a two-time Asian champion and will be led by 6-foot-3 forward Ramu Tokashiki, who is currently playing for the Seattle Storm in the WNBA.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsAustralia, on the other hand, will be bannered by four WNBA players in Marianna Tolo, Katie-Rae Ebzery, Tessa Lavey and Laura Hodges.The Philippines, which is now ranked fifth in Asia, had a historic Fiba Asia stint two years ago after finally cracking Level I. China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Aquino said this year’s team is not much different from the previous.Making up the PH team, which is also in the same group as South Korea, are Allana Lim, Afril Bernardino, Raisa Palmera-Dy, Camille Sambile, Claire CastroRounding out the team are Andrea Tongco, Janine Pontejos, Chack Cabinbin, Cindy Resultay, Jack Animam, Gemma Miranda and Amby Almazan.The Fiba Asia Cup is set on July 23-29 in Bangalore, India.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

Rs 35 lakh cheque creates problem for BCCI, pitched battle in the offing

first_imgS.K. Wankhede (left) and N.K.P. Salve: Power struggleOf all the sports organisations in this country, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is possibly the richest. Last fortnight, however, the riches had created a problem: the simple matter of a cheque for Rs 35 lakh – the proceeds,S.K. Wankhede (left) and N.K.P. Salve: Power struggleOf all the sports organisations in this country, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is possibly the richest. Last fortnight, however, the riches had created a problem: the simple matter of a cheque for Rs 35 lakh – the proceeds of the Delhi Test between India and the MCC last year – which should have gone to the BCCI account in Madras, but instead went into a fresh fixed deposit account in Bombay.Over half-a-dozen of the 28 BCCI members asked for details of the cheque’s curious progress. Jagmohan Dalmiya, honorary secretary of the Bengal Cricket Association, wrote to M.A. Chidambaram, BCCI treasurer, asking if any board official or working committee member had approved the opening of the account for such a huge amount – according to BCCI rules no new bank account can be opened without the board’s approval.The Delhi Test was handled by a special committee appointed by the BCCI, because the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) had been superseded. BCCI President S.K. Wankhede headed the committee, I.S. Bindra, president of the Punjab Cricket Association was convenor and P.M. Rungta of Rajasthan was treasurer. As there was no permanent body in Delhi to look after the record profit of Rs 35 lakh, it was resolved that the money would be transferred to the BCCI’S account in Madras. According to Bindra, he along with Rungta wrote a cheque for Rs 35 lakh on February 5, 1982 in favour of the BCCI.advertisementBut instead of handing the cheque to Chidambaram, Rungta inexplicably withdrew the money from the Tolstoy Marg branch of the New Bank of India and converted it into a demand draft – No 434072/78/82 dated February 6, 1982 – drawn on the bank’s Bombay branch – Bindra was not in on this. In a letter to the bank, Rungta wrote: “Please issue a demand draft in the name of Board of Control for Cricket in India payable at Bombay.” On the same day, as it happened, an account was opened in the Banque Nationale de Paris and a fixed deposit of Rs 35 lakh for one year was made in the name of the BCCI. Chidambaram received a fixed deposit receipt from Rungta, instead of a cheque.Disputed Matters: The matter was first raised at the working committee meeting on April 1, 1982. Some pointed questions remained unanswered: why Rungta converted the cheque into a draft on his own; why a foreign bank was preferred, especially when the rate of interest – 7.5 per cent – is the same as that of Indian banks; who endorsed the account papers as only the BCCI president and/or treasurer can operate an account and that too after a BCCI resolution; and how the bank opened an account in the name of an organisation without asking for the resolution and the memorandum of association.The group that has talked the most about Rungta’s initiative is the “anti-Bombay group’, and consists mostly of senior government officials like Bindra, Phalgum Matilal, a joint director in the Railway Ministry, Kamlesh Sharma, a joint secretary in the Union Home Ministry and S.K. Kakkar, a senior Chandigarh administration official.They are powerfully backed by Minister of State for Information N.K.P. Salve, Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah and Kamal Nath, the powerful MP who dislodged K.K. Mehra and his friends from the DDCA. Kakkar says that “there is ample scope for smelling a rat” and feels that the bank “might have used the cash for sanctioning loans to various firms” in the wake of the credit squeeze.In the August 16-17 meeting of the BCCI in Bombay, this group demanded that the Central Bureau of Investigation investigate the matter and that the account be closed. But Rungta was not present and a decision was postponed. For his part, Rungta refutes the allegation that there was anything wrong in opening the account.Said he: “Bindra signed a cheque and gave it to me to be handed over to the treasurer of the board. It is also correct that I handed over the demand draft receipt to Chidambaram.” He also claimed that the new account was opened in consultation with the treasurer and the president. But both Chidambaram and Wankhede, when asked in the board meeting, did not accept that they knew about it earlier.Financial Problems: ‘Irregularities’ in financial procedures have occurred earlier. Dalmiya had pointed out 54 errors in the audited accounts for 1980-81. The general body meeting in Bangalore on September 28, 1981, took note of his objections which included: glaring discrepancies in the cash and bank balances in accounts presented by the treasurer to the BCCI working committee on August 3, 1980 and figures given out at the Bangalore meeting; Rs 26 lakh expenditure on the Golden Jubilee Test between India and England at Bombay when only Rs 11 lakh was approved; unexplained expenditure of Rs 2 lakh in foreign exchange in England during the 1979 tour; and investment of nearly Rs 1 crore in various private companies by the BCCI investment committee without the approval of the BCCI board or working committee.advertisementThis last provoked quite a furore at two meetings of the board. According to the statement of accounts for 1980-81, the private companies so favoured are Tata Oil Mills (Rs 10 lakh), Mahindra and Mahindra (Rs 25 lakh), Bayer India Ltd (Rs 15 lakh), Standard Oil Mills (Rs 15 lakh) and ITC Ltd (Rs 25 lakh). The money came from nationalised banks by prematurely cancelling fixed deposits, and board officials accepted that the board or the working committee did not authorise the withdrawal and that the terms and the conditions were not disclosed earlier. Wankhede and others claimed, however, that no BCCI office-bearer was connected with any of the companies. Only after Dalmiya persisted was an eight-member inquiry committee, headed by Wankhede, appointed to look into these allegations: the final report is still to come even after a year.Things are likely to come to a head on September 26, 1982, at the elections for the office-bearers. The ‘anti-Bombay group’ led by Bindra is determined to oust Wankhede and his men and they seem to have numbers on their side: at a recent meeting of their group 16 of the BCCI’s 28 members were present.They have reportedly decided to field Salve for the president’s post. Says Matilal: “Ours is a democratic fight. We don’t want politics and money to spoil Indian cricket; we want to cleanse the BCCI of unscrupulous elements.” A pitched battle is clearly in the offing.last_img read more