Holloway reveals late Zaha bid

first_img Press Association “All I can talk about is how I felt when certain things were out there – that he didn’t care, he wasn’t putting it in and his heart wasn’t with us when we were having a dodgy spell. “It just wasn’t true. He couldn’t help us more if he tried – he was trying too hard. Nothing pleased me more in the final that he won a penalty and we scored. “Against Brighton away he got two – fantastic. What more would that boy need to do for Crystal Palace if he isn’t a legend already?” Holloway was full of praise for Zaha, whose legacy he believes “will be very, very difficult for anyone to emulate”. The Palace boss also thinks you would be hard pushed to find a better place for the winger to take his talent to the next level. “They produce and nurture talent,” Holloway said. “I remember Cristiano Ronaldo a few years ago doing 15million step-overs and getting nowhere. And now look what he does. “Who has helped? I would suggest it is Man United and the attitude of the club. I am delighted for him. “He will have to learn about being a big club and what that means but I am so proud of that boy, I can’t tell you.” The 20-year-old is now at Old Trafford full-time but is unlikely to feature when the sides meet on Saturday given he has yet to make his Premier League debut for David Moyes’ side. Holloway is not surprised by the fact Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor has not yet played him and is part of the reason why he tried to bring him back on loan. When asked the last time he tried to re-sign Zaha, Holloway said: “The day the window shut. Just in case. “I think out of respect to them I knew damn well they wouldn’t do it. What would that look like? And there will be enough competitions to give him some games. “I have been continually asking because the person who brought him isn’t there anymore. “I think from Wilf’s point of view it would be much easier for Sir Alex to play him. “David has just gone in and sometimes with Wilf it is a risk as he doesn’t always track back. “But I think his career at Man United will be a success because of the boy that he is. David will select him at the right time, which is completely right. Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway tried to bring Wilfried Zaha back from Manchester United up until the very last moment of the transfer window. A graduate of the south Londoners’ academy, the winger joined Manchester United in January for a reported £15million. Despite the move, Zaha returned to Palace on loan for the remainder of the season and furthered his fans’ favourite status by helping propel the club back to the Premier League. last_img read more

The Latest: Serie A will resume only when gov’t gives OK

first_imgThe Tour de Suisse has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, removing one of the few cycling events left on the calendar before the Tour de France is due to start.The nine-day Swiss race was scheduled to run from June 6-14 and is designed to give riders a chance to prepare for the three-week Tour de France. The French race is still scheduled to start on June 27.Colombian rider Egan Bernal won in Switzerland last year ahead of his first Tour de France title.Organizers in Switzerland say its “the first time since the Second World War that the traditional event will not take place.”They say “the risk of additional strain on the Swiss health system due to possible crashes during racing is high.” Associated Press Twelve athletes were arrested in Iten earlier this week for breaching Kenyan government regulations on social gatherings during the COVID-19 crisis. The runners were arrested for training in a group, which has been banned in Kenya. Training camps have been shut down and athletes must train alone.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Mental health experts who were supposed to be available to help American athletes at the Tokyo Olympics are being asked to start working now. The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee says the experts are leading discussions about mental health and wellness for athletes and staff in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Those same experts will also be on hand at the Tokyo Games, which have been postponed a year.The USOPC also disclosed the 13 members of a new external mental health task force created to support American athletes and coaches. It includes Olympians, doctors and the head of The Speedy Foundation, a mental-health organization named after the late Jeret “Speedy” Peterson, an Olympic silver medalist in aerials. That group is working with an internal group at the USOC being led by chief medical officer Jonathan Finnoff. The league had given a return date of April 30 amid the coronavirus outbreak but now says the season “will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.”It says there remained a “combined objective” for all remaining domestic league and cup matches to be played to maintain the integrity of each competition.The league also says it has consulted players over a pay deduction or deferral of 30%.It also voted to advance funds of 125 million pounds ($150 million) to clubs in the English Football League and fifth-tier National League.___ German soccer club Borussia Dortmund is converting part of its stadium into a treatment center amid the coronavirus pandemic.The Bundesliga club says a space inside Germany’s largest soccer stadium has been made available for medical staff to examine people with virus symptoms.The move comes after an influx of suspected coronavirus cases put existing facilities in the city of Dortmund under strain.The center will open on Saturday.___ Officials say they’re working to find a new date for the Preakness Stakes, the second jewel of horse racing’s Triple Crown.The Maryland Jockey Club and Stronach Group announced Friday that whenever the Preakness is run in 2020, it will go on without infield activities that had been one of the race’s biggest traditions. The Preakness was scheduled for May 16 in Baltimore.The organizations say in a joint statement finding a new date for the Preakness “will take into consideration all of the recommended best practices from local and governmental health authorities to protect our community.” The Kentucky Derby was postponed from May 2 to Sept. 5. No decision has yet been made on the Belmont Stakes, which is scheduled for June 6 at Belmont Park in New York.___The Lawn Tennis Association is giving up to 20 million pounds ($24 million) through grants and interest-free loans to help venues, coaches, officials, and players in Britain during the coronavirus pandemic. The league was set to open training camps on April 26 and the regular season was to begin on May 15. The WNBA will still hold a “virtual” draft on April 17.Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said in a statement. “While the league continues to use this time to conduct scenario-planning regarding new start dates and innovative formats, our guiding principle will continue to be the health and safety of the players, fans and employees.” The WNBA, which was set to begin its 24th season, is the longest running professional women’s sports league.___The Premier League has pushed back its restart date and says play will not resume at the beginning of May. World Triathlon has extended its suspension of all events from the end of April to the end of June because of the coronavirus outbreak.The latest events to be called off include the Yokohama leg of the world series, three African Cups, three American events, four Asian Cups, one event in Oceania and eight in Europe.World Triathlon president Marisol Casado says “the suspension of all activities doesn’t mean at all that we stop working” on finding alternative dates.___The WNBA has postponed the start of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic. On Friday, team officials emailed letters to those with payment plans, giving them a Wednesday deadline to accept the offer.The final two installments were initially due April 15 and May 15. The Colts have not announced any changes about the May payment.“In light of the unique circumstances right now, we have decided to modify the payment options for members of our season ticket family on payment plans,” the letter reads in part.The move comes one day after the Indiana High School Athletic Association canceled the entire spring sports season. State officials had previously announced all schools would remain closed for the rest of the academic year.___ The Italian league has been suspended since March 9, when the government ordered a nationwide lockdown.A new government decree issued this week prevents clubs from training — even in small groups — for at least another 10 days.Twelve rounds of Serie A remain, plus four games that were postponed from the weekend of Feb. 22. Also, the Italian Cup semifinals were interrupted after the first leg.Following a video conference meeting of all 20 Serie A clubs on Friday, the league said “it will await the decrees from the government and place in primary consideration taking care of the athletes’ health and all people involved.”___center_img He says no players or members of the coaching staff have shown any symptoms or been tested. Pierce said Friday he doesn’t know the identity of those who were tested. He said at least 18 or 19 days have passed since any members of the team would have had contact with the employees.“Everyone that has been tested, the symptoms they had or reported, they do feel better,” Pierce said. He said he has “become a master of this Zoom app” while having video conferencing with players, assistants and other NBA coaches.___The NFL’s Indianapolis Colts are giving season-ticket holders the option to defer April’s payment until June 15. Singles players world ranked from 101 to 750 and doubles players ranked from 101 to 250 — who are not already receiving funding — are eligible for grants, and there will be increased prize money for British tour events if the tours resume. This week, Wimbledon was canceled and the tours suspended the British grass-court season.Most of the focus of the LTA package is on protecting the grassroots, including continued funding for development centers and the two national academies, and supporting full-time coaches.Chief executive Scott Lloyd and the executive team will take temporary pay cuts of 20%, while some staff will be furloughed next week but will be paid 80% of their salary.___Atlanta Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce says team employees have been tested after exhibiting symptoms for the new coronavirus. April 3, 2020 ___The world heavyweight title fight between Anthony Joshua and Kubrat Pulev on June 20 has been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.The fight was scheduled to take place at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London and will be Joshua’s first defense of his IBF, WBA, WBO belts since he regained them from Andy Ruiz Jr.Joshua’s promoter, Matchroom Boxing, says a new date for the fight is being worked on.___ More than a dozen U.S. Olympic and Paralympic athletes received reassurance this week when Toyota North America announced it would extend their endorsement contracts through the rescheduled Tokyo Games in 2021.The auto company and major Olympic sponsor has 17 U.S. athletes under contract. They include swimmer David Boudia, gymnast Laurie Hernandez, Paralympian Oksana Masters and sprinter Michael Norman.The status of endorsement contracts is a major concern to athletes because most signed deals that were set to expire after this year’s scheduled Olympics. They have been rescheduled for 2021 and that has forced corporations to reset and rethink the structure of their deals.Visa is another major sponsor and has also told its global roster of nearly 100 Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls that it will extend sponsorships through 2021.___ The Latest: Serie A will resume only when gov’t gives OK ___The Russian anti-doping agency is preparing to freeze all testing until May to comply with new government measures shutting down work deemed non-essential.RUSADA deputy CEO Margarita Pakhnotskaya tells The Associated Press that her agency is looking for possible exemptions to instructions from President Vladimir Putin for all Russians except those working in essential sectors to stay home through April 30.Pakhnotskaya says in a text message that she “will check on Monday the possibility to receive special permission” from government bodies for staff to collect samples from athletes. There will be no testing this month if that isn’t granted.Testing has been suspended since March 27 under a previous round of measures. Isolation measures around the world have led to a sharp drop in anti-doping tests. That’s led to warnings that some athletes could take advantage of the situation. The World Anti-Doping Agency says it is trying to track gaps in testing.___Former marathon world record holder Wilson Kipsang was among 20 people arrested in Kenya for locking themselves in a bar and drinking alcohol in breach of a curfew imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic.Police say the 2012 Olympic bronze medalist was among those detained at a police station in Iten, one of Kenya’s famous high-altitude towns where distance runners train. They were in breach of a 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew. The group included a local politician.Kipsang, who is also a police officer, was provisionally suspended this year from track and field and charged with doping offenses that include tampering with doping samples. He has also won the New York, London and Berlin marathons. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Serie A says it will consider resuming only “when health conditions permit it.”last_img read more

Syracuse bounces back from error-plagued 1st set in upset win over Notre Dame

first_img Published on November 2, 2019 at 12:10 am Contact Roshan: rferna04@syr.edu | @Roshan_f16 The serve dropped right between Aliah Bowllan and Ella Saada as the two fell to their knees, reacting too late to the ball. Both assumed the other would collect the straightforward serve, summing up an error-plagued first set for Syracuse. It was a first set that saw Syracuse (7-11, 4-7 Atlantic Coast) record nine attacking errors and three service errors in addition to allowing Notre Dame (15-6, 8-3 ACC) to score on five service aces. Highlighted by miscues, errors, and uncharacteristic mistakes, it looked as though SU had dug itself a hole it might not recover from. “(Our) team had that feeling of like ‘we’re just not even playing,’” assistant coach Derryk Williams said. “When you give a team (more than) 15 points without them having to do anything, it’s tough to have momentum.”But SU showed its resilience after a 25-14 loss in the first set. Ultimately, the Orange pulled off the reversal, following their first set woes with regained confidence that allowed them to win the next three consecutive sets and upset the conference’s second-best team. Early on, Notre Dame had an answer for Polina Shemanova, the Orange’s top outside hitter. When the ACC leader in kills per set and points per set rose for a kill, she was met by four hands on numerous occasions. When Shemanova and Saada tried to hit around the blockers, they suffered from an excess of attacking errors. And when SU finally got some attacking momentum going, it was shut down by poor defensive play.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMidway through the first set, the Fighting Irish managed to collect a strong kill from Saada, clearly catching the Orange off-guard. To secure the point, a Notre Dame player exposed a gaping hole in Syracuse’s defense by gently setting the ball into the space on SU’s side. “The first set is always the set where you’re not fully into the game,” Shemanova said. “You’re still making some adjustments, so the first set is usually not the best for our team.”Even Bowllan wasn’t her usual acrobatic self — countless miscues on what appeared to be simple digs had head coach Leonid Yelin out of his seat, providing vocal instructions far more often than usual. Playing against a powerhouse side like Notre Dame, Shemanova said you almost want to win more. The idea of beating a strong side gave the Orange psychological willpower and allowed them to reverse their fate after the first set, Shemanova said. The key to the bounce back: the confidence and rhythm that SU gained in the second set. Shemanova recorded her typical cross-court kill on multiple occasions after the first set. Saada returned from a three-game slump, tying her career-high of 21 kills and setter Elena Karakasi recorded a career-tying high of 43 assists. Karakasi’s improved setting, compared to the first set, allowed her outside hitters to avoid blockers and rack up kills. And once the Orange offense regained their poise, the roles were reversed — in the second, third and fourth sets, Syracuse’s offensive firepower was a mismatch for the Fighting Irish defense.Crucial blocks lead the way in the Orange’s defensive turnaround, something the team has struggled with all season. Karakasi was vital in the success, with two big-time solo blocks and one block assist. After firing an ineffective kill early in the fourth set, she came right back on the same point and won the long rally with a flawless block that gave Syracuse an early lead. “Elena blocked I think the best I’ve ever seen her block,” Williams said. “She had three or four in the fourth set alone, so that was awesome.”The team finished the game with 74 digs, the second most of the season thus far. Bowllan had countless diving efforts, and though Yelin continued to make frequent trips out of his seat to give his players instructions, the Orange were able to handle the Fighting Irish’s strong offense. Though there were no adjustments to the defensive system itself, Yelin said, the Orange’s execution was far more crisp in the ensuing sets.“Once we started playing hard and doing things the right way, (the way) that we like to do it, I think they struggled to find ways to score,” Williams said. “Third set and fourth set they were hitting right at us. What we were doing was working.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

6 Killed, 28 Injured in Another Weekend of Chicago Gun Violence

first_imgAre individual shootings a bigger problem than mass shootings in the U.S.? Six people were killed and at least 28 were injured in another weekend of Chicago gun violence.Unbelievably the tally is less than last week’s totals of eight deaths and 42 injuries that occurred over a three-day Labor Day weekend.Approximately 1,900 shootings have occurred in Chicago since the beginning of the year, according to the Chicago Tribune.2 killed, 5 wounded Monday in Chicago shootings ⁦@chicagosmayor⁩ #accountabilitytuesday #urbanmassshootingsdontmatter ⁦@tedcruz⁩ ⁦@charliekirk11⁩ ⁦@IvankaTrump⁩https://t.co/IBLAfTjMun— Vicki (@vickilscott20) September 10, 2019last_img read more