Different Virus Responses – The New York Times

first_imgWant to get The Morning by email? Here’s the sign-up.Good morning. The U.S. and Europe are responding to the latest virus waves differently, and one approach is working better than the other. Make pan-seared gyoza — Japanese dumplings filled with ground pork, cabbage, chives, ginger and garlic.What to Listen to15 new tracks by Foo Fighters, Shania Twain, Billie Eilish and more.Fine ArtA new building at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston showcases works by Latin American and Latino artists who are rarely shown in the U.S. (In Opinion, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Republican former member of Congress, and Ken Salazar, Barack Obama’s former interior secretary, argue that the country should create a museum honoring American Latino history and culture on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.) “I’m sure the Europeans didn’t want to restrict their activities any more than we do,” Janet Baseman, an epidemiologist at the University of Washington, told me over the weekend. “Everyone is tired and ready for this to end, but we have to accept the reality of the data before us.”Many Americans have resisted accepting that reality. Across much of the country, restaurants remain open for indoor dining. Last week, New York State announced a new policy that public health experts consider to be a bizarre middle ground: Businesses with a liquor license can stay open until 10 p.m.- Advertisement – As you can see, both the U.S. and Europe have been coping with severe outbreaks, with caseloads rising even faster in much of Europe than in the U.S. during much of this fall. But over the past two weeks, France, Germany, Spain and Britain have managed to reduce their growth rates.- Advertisement – What is Europe doing differently? It is cracking down on the kind of indoor gatherings that most commonly spread the virus. England closed pubs, restaurants, gyms and more on Nov. 5 and announced they would remain closed until at least Dec. 2. France, Germany’s regional governments and the Catalonia region of Spain have also shut restaurants, among other businesses. Morning ReadsTrilobites: Platypuses glow under black light. Scientists have no idea why.Lives Lived: Lee Hyo-jae championed women’s rights and democracy in South Korea, helping abolish the country’s patriarchal naming system and standing up to its military dictatorship in the 1980s. She died at 95.Subscribers make our reporting possible, so we can help you make sense of the moment. If you’re not a subscriber, please consider becoming one today. The European approach seems to be working better.Look at this chart, which shows the number of new daily virus cases in five countries, adjusted for population size:center_img And the virus is now spreading so rapidly in the U.S. that keeping schools open does pose risks, including the chance that teachers, janitors and other workers infect one another. To keep schools open in a safe way, the U.S. would probably first need to close other public places. Only a few states — including Michigan, Oregon, New Mexico and Washington — have closed indoor dining recently.“The U.S. case and hospitalization numbers we’re seeing right now are chilling,” Baseman said.But if there are no perfect solutions to the pandemic, there are better and worse ones. Right now, the U.S. seems to be falling well short of what’s possible.THE LATEST NEWSThe Virus – Advertisement – At last, Princess Diana entersSince Netflix’s “The Crown” began airing in 2016, fans have excitedly anticipated Princess Diana’s character. This weekend, she arrived, in the first episode of the show’s fourth season.It covers Diana from age 16 to 28, starting in the late 1970s. Emma Corrin, in her first prominent role, is playing the part. Sarah Lyall, a former London correspondent for The Times, writes that Corrin nails “the princess’s seductive signature gesture — head tilting to the side, eyes glancing coquettishly upward through her bangs.”The portrayal is based on interviews, news media accounts and a tell-all 1992 biography by Andrew Morton. Diana made revisions to the manuscript in her own handwriting and personally approved every page, Morton has said.One new challenge for this show: A large part of its audience will have lived through the events it’s depicting, like Diana’s wedding to Prince Charles and Margaret Thatcher’s tenure as prime minister. Can the show still feel like the escape that the first three seasons were? “As always, they have taken many cinematic liberties,” Sarah writes. “‘Crown’ watchers in Britain are already debating what is accurate and what has been changed for dramatic purposes.”PLAY, WATCH, EATWhat to Cook The one indoor activity that appears to present less risk is school, especially elementary school. Why? Young children seem to spread the virus less often than adults do. “Research has shown that if you put social-distancing protocols in place, school is actually quite a safe environment,” Andreas Schleicher, who studies schools for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in Paris, told NPR.Closing schools and switching entirely to remote learning, on the other hand, has big social costs. Children are learning less, and many parents, mostly mothers, have dropped out of the labor force. The U.S. is suffering from both of these problems and from a raging pandemic.There are no easy answers, to be sure. Closing restaurants and other businesses creates economic hardship (which some European countries are trying to reduce through government aid). As the coronavirus has surged again in recent weeks, much of the United States has chosen to keep restaurants open and schools closed. Much of Europe has done the opposite.- Advertisement –last_img read more

WHO: H5N1 strikes two more Indonesians

first_imgFeb 5, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today confirmed that a 29-year-old Indonesian woman recently died of H5N1 avian influenza and that another Indonesian, a 38-year-old woman, is hospitalized with the disease.The 29-year-old woman was from Tangerang, the same western suburb of Jakarta where several of Indonesia’s most recent H5N1 case-patients lived. She fell ill on Jan 22, was hospitalized 6 days later, and died on Feb 2, according to a WHO statement. She is listed as the country’s 125th case-patient and its 103rd fatality.The WHO said an investigation into the source of her illness was under way. Lili Sulistyowati, a spokeswoman from Indonesia’s health ministry, said the woman’s neighbors raised chickens, but it’s not known if the birds were infected with the H5N1 virus, according to a report yesterday from Xinhua, China’s state news agency.The WHO also announced that the 38-year-old woman, who is from West Jakarta, is in critical condition. She became ill Jan 24 and was hospitalized 2 days later. She is now confirmed as Indonesia’s 126th H5N1 case-patient, according to the WHO.The source of the woman’s illness is also still under investigation, the WHO said. Sulistyowati told Xinhua that a week ago the woman visited her parents, who live next to a family that raises ducks.Indonesia has been hit hardest of any country by the H5N1 virus. The WHO’s global H5N1 count stands at 359 cases and 226 deaths.See also:Feb 5 WHO statementlast_img read more

Miroslav Ćiro Blažević: I’m the Only One who can Take B&H to the EC in France!

first_imgMiroslav Ćiro Blažević, ex-selector of the national football team of B&H is willing to take over the selection again – reports Patria agency.As he pointed out during the conversation with his friends, “he can no longer sit and look what certain individuals are doing out of it all”.“What happened here? It’s the same team led by my Safet last year, the same team that had such great successes and featured as threat to everyone. Something is bothering me here, and that is the fact that that much of a talent doesn’t get a chance to succeed and it can. I respect all my dear friends but I don’t think they are ready to wake up our Dragon asleep and I fear the situation would remain the same. There is no longer room for talks about tactics. What matters here is to regain the winning spirit.” – said Ćiro while talking to his friends.He also added that he is ready to candidate for the selector but his official candidature did not yet arrive to the Football Federation of B&H.(Source: Tuzlanski.ba)last_img read more

Full steam ahead for Wynn Resorts as Maddox confirms global expansion ambitions

first_imgIt was also revealed at the AGM that the internal committee looking into allegations of sexual misconduct against Steve Wynn had interviewed more than 100 people and reviewed three million documents as part of its investigation.Discussing Wynn Resorts’ Asian ambitions, Maddox said that the company would add a number of new restaurants and non-gaming amenities as part of its expansion plans at Wynn Palace in Cotai with Phase II plans currently being developed. He added that 22 high-level executives from Japan were currently visiting the company’s Las Vegas base with a view to forming a consortium to bid for a Japanese gaming license in the coming years.Wynn Resorts has similarly grand ambitions domestically, Maddox said, declaring that its Boston Harbor site is not for sale despite having met with two interested parties in recent months and changing its name from Wynn Boston Harbor to Encore Boston Harbor amid ongoing investigations by local regulators.In Las Vegas, Wynn Resorts is powering ahead with construction of new MICE and leisure facilities.“On our golf course here in Las Vegas, we are constructing a 400,000-square-foot convention center right now,” The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Maddox as saying. “That should be finished in mid-2020.“We’re also working on what we’re going to do with our lagoon,” an area of more than 25 acres “that looks like the Caribbean.“We’re going to have beaches. We’re going to have amphitheaters. We’re going to have the ability for people to participate in water sports and it’s going to be for our hotel guests. My goal for what we do on the golf course is to bring things to Las Vegas that don’t exist.”Work on a brand new integrated resort on the former Alon Las Vegas site purchased from Crown for US$300 million shortly before Steve Wynn’s departure will begin once the convention center and lagoon are complete, Maddox said. RelatedPosts Wynn Resorts to undergo internal restructure as part of refinancing plan Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas names five key additions to executive team Planning expansion of facilities at Wynn Palace in MacauEyeing consortium with Japanese partners with 22 Japanese executives currently visiting Las VegasNo plans to sell Boston Harbor IRWill construct “next great” Las Vegas IR on former Alon siteInternal investigation into Steve Wynn allegations to conclude in 3Q18Wynn Resorts Ltd CEO Matt Maddox says the company is ready to put the events of recent months behind and continue with its aggressive international and domestic expansion plans following the departure of former Chairman and CEO Steve Wynn in February.Maddox outlined Wynn Resorts’ strategy in the ensuing years during its annual general meeting this week, which included reference to the company’s ambitions for growth in Macau and Japan as well as what he described as “the next great Las Vegas resort” on the 34 acre Las Vegas Strip site purchased in January from Crown Resorts. Wynn Resorts shares favored over Wynn Macau: analysts Load Morelast_img read more