CVPS completes restoration of power

first_imgCVPS completed restoration efforts late Sunday night in the aftermath of last week’s two-pronged snow and wind storm that knocked out power to more than 1 million electric utility customers across the Northeast, finishing one day ahead of initial estimates.“This was certainly one of the most trying yet productive work weeks in our company’s history, and it revealed the tremendous spirit of our employees and the people we serve,” President Bob Young said. “But this storm is not over for many in the New England. This morning we sent six crews to help Public Service of New Hampshire in their restoration efforts, which are ongoing.”More than 91,000 CVPS customer outages occurred over the course of the storm, making it the largest in company history. CVPS staged an unparalleled restoration effort, which included more than 90 CVPS linemen, more than 90 two-person contract line crews, more than 20 two-person tree crews and hundreds of support staff. Employees from departments across the company – finance, human resources and strategic planning, information technology and the like – took up other assignments, helping customer care advocates handle tens of thousands of calls; deliver meals to workers in the field and stage buffet breakfasts and dinners for crews across the state; plot restoration efforts; and deliver materials and supplies to job sites.  Line crews came from all across New England, and as far away as Ontario, and state regulatory and emergency management officials worked closely with CVPS to hasten recovery.“This storm wreaked a tremendous amount of damage statewide to our transmission and distribution lines,” Young said.  “Good planning, hard work and collaboration were critical to the recovery.”Here’s an updated look at the storm by the numbers.Customers outages:       more than 91,000Repairs required:           1,700-plusCustomer calls:              54,000Distribution circuits knocked off-line:            19Transmission circuits knocked off-line:            4Total broken poles:        34Total CVPS line crews: 42Outside line crews:        90-plusTree crews:                  24Estimated cost:              $4 million (A final number will not be available until June, when all the bills have been received.)One of the many unique aspects of this storm is that it did damage to every one of CVPS’s 10 districts across the state. Below is a list of our districts, and the percentage of customers affected by the storm in each district:Middlebury: More than 40 percent of the district’s 15,800 customersRoyalton: Nearly 70 percent of the district’s 18,600 customersRutland: More than 30 percent of the district’s 25,000 customersPoultney: Nearly 65 percent of the district’s 9,000 customersSpringfield: Nearly 50 percent of the district’s 19,000 customersBradford: Nearly 35 percent of the district’s 4,700 customersSunderland: More than 40 percent of the district’s 23,300 customersBrattleboro: Nearly 50 percent of the district’s 14,700 customersSt. Johnsbury: About 15 percent of the district’s 7,500 customersSt. Albans: Nearly 20 percent of the district’s 20,800 customers Source: CVPS 3.1.2010last_img read more

Australia’s Uluru opens for last time ahead of ban

first_imgTourists line up to climb Uluru, formerly known as Ayers Rock, at Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park in Australia on Oct. 25. AAP IMAGE/LUKAS COCH/VIA REUTERS The closure wasannounced two years ago when fewer than 20 percent of the visitors were makingthe climb.(Reuters) Nearly 400,000visitors flocked to the Australian landmark in the year to end-June, governmentdata showed. YULARA –Hundreds of tourists clambered up Australia’s Uluru on Friday, the day before apermanent ban on climbing the sacred rock takes effect, following adecades-long fight by indigenous people to close the trek.  The Anangupeople, the traditional owners of Uluru, have called for the climb to be closedsince 1985, when the park was returned to the indigenous control. last_img read more

Food venues opening in campus center

first_imgAs hundreds of newly admitted students for the freshman class of 2014 flood USC this week for one of several orientations held throughout the summer, they won’t be bringing their brand new USCards to a big white tent.Working on it · Construction still cases the campus center and much of Trousdale Parkway, though the campus center has seen a fair bit of traffic since it opened its doors in June. Many prospective students availed themselves of the two available restaurants in the food court this week, as another orientation session brought many admitted students to campus. – Dieuwertje Kast | Summer TrojaRonald Tutor Campus Center opened two of its restaurants this week for business — Wahoo’s Fish Taco, moving from its previous location at Café 84, and Carl’s Jr., which operated out of The Lot up until the tent’s closure last month. Also slated to open its counters later this week is Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.The rest of the nine restaurants and cafes that will be operating out of the campus center will also open for business in the next two months, with training periods for its staff beginning up to two weeks before.California Pizza Kitchen, Panda Express and Seeds Marketplace will begin accepting student business in July; August will bring newcomers Lemonade and Moreton Fig officially to campus, as well as reintroduce USC’s 23-year-old bar, Traditions, into the student perview.Though construction still lines Trousdale Parkway, Trojan Hospitality began the process of moving student organizations and commercial outlets June 1. The campus center will also house the offices of the Alumni Center, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, the SCheduling Office, Admission Center, Undergraduate Student Government, KSCR radio station and Program Board, among others.last_img read more

Impressive Lyon plunge Henry’s Monaco deeper into crisis

first_imgMonaco, the only team in the bottom half of the French league table to play this weekend, meekly wasted a chance to gain ground on their rivals.“We have to look at the first goal we conceded and especially the second goal which summed up this game,” Henry said. “Winning without desire is hard.“We have to try to put this game behind us, we have a big game against Guingamp next week.”Earlier, in-form striker Nicolas Pepe scored what proved to be the winner as 10-man Lille won at Nimes.“What a match, I’m really proud of my players,” said Lille coach Christophe Galtier. “We must not forget that we played for more than an hour and 20 minutes with 10 men.“With the added time, it was a very long and hard match physically.”Portuguese teenager Rafael Leao headed Lille into a fourth-minute lead, but Galtier’s men suffered a setback when former Southampton centre-back Jose Fonte was sent off in the 16th minute.Jonathan Bamba’s deflected effort doubled the advantage shortly before the interval, though, and Pepe appeared to have made the points safe midway through the second half with his 12th goal of the campaign.“After the PSG strikers, Pepe and Bamba are the best,” said Nimes coach Bernard Blaquart.The 10 men finally started to tire late on, but Lille held on for victory despite Nimes goals from Rachid Alioui and Clement Depres.Share on: WhatsApp Paris, France | AFP | Lyon dominated struggling Monaco from beginning to end on Sunday to climb back into the Ligue 1 top three and bury Thierry Henry’s side deeper in the relegation zone.Lyon kept pace with Lille, who won 3-2 at Nimes earlier despite playing much of the match with 10 men.Lille are three points ahead of Lyon, who have a game in hand, and five ahead of Montpellier, who did not play for a second consecutive week, and have played two fewer matches.The French title race is all but over with reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain 10 points clear, but a young Lille side are eyeing a return to the Champions League group stage for the first time since 2012, while Lyon, who squeaked into the last 16 in Europe in midweek, are seeking to ensure they will be back next year.“This match was one of our most dominant performances in the league,” said Lyon coach Bruno Genesio. “Even with superiority, we continued to play simply, to work for each other.”Lyon took the lead in only the sixth minute with a goal by Houssem Aouar, his sixth of the season.Nabil Fekir added the second in the 34th minute. Kenny Tete shrugged off a timid challenge to pull back a low cross which Fekir attacked while Monaco’s Jemerson hesitated.Monaco managed only one shot all game. They played almost the whole second half with 10 men after Aleksandr Golovin raked his studs down the back of Fekir’s calf in the 47th minute and was sent off.– ‘Childish attitudes’ –Ferland Mendy added a deserved third for Lyon just before the hour mark.“The match in Kiev on Wednesday made us realise that we had a strong group,” said Genesio. “And that we had to stop the childish attitudes that we have seen on some matches.”last_img read more

Actor Tom Hanks Tests Positive for the Coronavirus

first_img62-year-old beloved actor Tom Hanks, who also has type two diabetes, announce that he and his wife Rita Wilson have both tested positive for Covid 19 and are being treated in an Australian hospital.Both were down in Australia for the pre-production of Baz Luhrmann’s untitled Elvis Presley film from Warner Bros. In the film, two-time Oscar winner Hanks plays Presley’s longtime manager Colonel Tom Parker.Tom Hanks’ Statement:“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?We’ll keep the world posted and updated.Take care of yourselves!” – Tom Hanks Warner Bros. had this full statement:“We have been made aware that a company member from our Elvis feature film, which is currently in pre-production in The Gold Coast, Australia, has tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus). We are working closely with the appropriate Australian health agencies to identify and contact anyone who may have come in direct contact with the individual. The health and safety of our company members is always our top priority, and we are taking precautions to protect everyone who works on our productions around the world.The individual who tested positive for COVID-19 is currently receiving treatment.”last_img read more

Mason Health Announces Hire of Primary Care Manager Kelly North

first_imgFacebook3Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Mason HealthWith the Grand Opening of Mason Clinic scheduled for Friday, February 21, and Mason Clinic opening for services on Monday, February 24, Mason Health continues to create new jobs to meet the health care needs of our growing district. Mason Health is pleased to announce the hiring of Kelly North as the new Primary Care Manager. North will oversee primary care services at Mason Clinic and Hoodsport Family Clinic.“I love the community rural health setting,” she said. “What I love about Mason Health is that it is rural health care. It’s a small-town feel, but it operates like a professional hospital.”North is a Washington native who joined the Mason Health team on Nov. 25. Her medical career began in high school in Everett, where she worked part-time in a medical office (as well as part-time serving ice cream at Baskin Robbins). She explored Certified Nursing Assistant programs, but eventually worked for 24 years with the Western Washington Medical Group, working her way up to the role of Practice Administrator.North moved to Port Angeles in 2011 and worked for eight years as a Clinic Manager with Olympic Medical Physicians, where she oversaw the managements of the general surgery, women’s health and walk-in clinics. She set the schedule for employees and providers, and was also involved in the interviewing and hiring of clinic staff and new providers.North is in the process of buying a home in Shelton. She loves to travel and spend time with her two grandchildren, as well as her boxer Jakobi.“At Mason Clinic, I am looking forward to standardizing some workflows between the clinics,” she said.Mason Clinic will open on Feb. 24, with primary care, orthopedics, walk-in and laboratory services. To stay up-to-date on clinic moves and service updates at Mason Clinic, visit www.masongeneral.com.Mason Health, Public Hospital District No. 1 of Mason County, is certified by Det Norske Veritas (DNV) and is a licensed and accredited acute care hospital with a level four emergency trauma designation. There are more than 100 physicians on staff in 19 specialties. Mason Health now offers 3D Mammography Services.  For more information on 3D mammograms or to find a health care provider, visit www.MasonGeneral.com.last_img read more