Anilao’s No. 6 most wanted person falls

first_imgThe suspect was detained in the lockupcell of the Anilao police station. The 41-year-old Leonardo Democrito wascaught on the strength of an arrest in Barangay Ito Sur, Cabatuan, Iloiloaround 7:15 p.m. on Feb. 19, a police report showed. ILOILO City – He was listed as the No. 6most wanted person in the municipal police station of Anilao, Iloilo. Democrito – resident of BarangayPalaypay, Anilao – was facing rape charges. He had been hiding from the policefor about five years, the report added. No bail bond was recommended for histemporary liberty./PNlast_img read more

DAR invites Pres DU30 in WV land distribution

first_imgAround 700 people, many of whom arefarmers, coming from different provinces of this region are urged to attend. BORACAY – President Rodrigo Duterte isinvited to distribute registered Emancipation Patents (EPs) and Certificate ofLand Ownership Awards (CLOAs) upon his visit in this world-famous Island onMarch 12, according to Department of Agrarian Reform acting provincial reformofficer II Ma. Teresa Valencia. The president is expected to distribute 2,795.8351 hectares of new lands around the region to some 3,273beneficiaries.  Aside from Duterte, Department ofAgrarian Reform secretary John Castriones is also expected to grace the event,along with the provincial and local government of Western Visayas.  Of the total amount of the said lands,31 Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries (ARBs) in this island will receive two CLOAscovering around 1.9858 hectares; 11 ARBs in Aklan province will get 11CLOAs/EP’s for 14.544 hectares, 14 ARB’s in Antique province will bedistributed with 19 CLOAs/EPs for 16.0728 hectares; 223 ARB’s in Capiz provincewill be given 315 CLOAs/EPs for a land ranging to 269.8541 hectares; 29 ARBs inGuimaras province will receive 46 CLOAs/EPs for 42.0581 hectares; 56 ARBs inIloilo province will be awarded 68 CLOAs/EPs for 32.9820 hectares; 864 ARB’s inNegros Occidental 1 will get 1,458 CLOAS/EPs for 1,727.3081 hectares; andfinally, 770 ARBs in Negros Occidental 2 will have 1,353 CLOAs/EPs covering 2,795.8351hectares./PNlast_img read more

Ronaldinho released from prison after 32 days

first_imgRelatedPosts Ronaldinho regains freedom in Paraguay Despite being under house arrest, Ronaldinho hosts parties with models Ronaldinho set to be released from prison Ronaldinho has been granted house arrest and will leave the Paraguayan prison he has been kept in. The Brazil football legend has been in jail on the outskirts of Paraguay capital Asuncion for 32 days alongside his brother Roberto Assis. The pair were alleged to have entered the South American country with fake passports and were subsequently detained by authorities. But his turbulent time behind bars appears to now be over – and he will instead now go under house arrest. Regular stories have been released on Ronaldinho’s time in jail, where he has been playing footvolley and other soccer games against in-mates. Among those he has been spending time alongside are murderers and thieves. He has been regularly visited by old friends, with pictures and videos of his time in the prison complex being released. On Tuesday, it appeared that the once-smiley samba star was growing a beard as part of a new look. Former Paraguay striker Nelson Cuevas visited Ronaldinho and claimed that he lost his grin. But in a selfie video recorded from his cell, the toothy smile of the star was to be seen once again. Earlier in the prison sentence, Ronaldinho’s old team-mate Rivaldo opened up on his fears for the 40-year-old. He told Betfair: “I haven’t communicated with Ronaldinho since his arrest in Paraguay but I’ve been watching and reading about it with some concern and sadness as this is not good for his reputation and is dark chapter in his beautiful story. “From my side, I’m just cheering for him and hoping that all ends up fine, but I expect it’s very annoying to spend your birthday detained in a foreign country. “I hope Ronaldinho can emerge stronger from all of this.”Tags: Roberto AssisRonaldinholast_img read more

Bucksport ups record to 5-1

first_img Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. hbowden@ellsworthamerican.com Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017 GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017 Righthander Jake Gauvin had another complete game shutout for Bucksport, scattering five hits in a 3-0 win on Monday in Orono.Asher Bowden led the Golden Bucks with a double and a single and Ryan Grindle had a pair of singles as the Bucks scored a run in the first inning and two unearned runs in the fourth.Find in-depth coverage of local news in The Ellsworth American. Subscribe digitally or in print. Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all) This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text Latest Posts Biolast_img read more

Kane, Lukaku, Sanchez Race for Golden Boot

first_imgUntil Thursday, only Robbie Fowler, Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry and Robin van Persie had scored 25 goals in consecutive Premier League seasons.Kane enters Tottenham’s game away against Hull City today with a two-goal advantage on Everton’s Romelu Lukaku, with Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez three goals off the lead.Van Persie was the last player to win the Golden Boot in consecutive seasons when he did so in 2011-12 and 2012-13.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram  The race for the Golden Boot will go down to the Premier League’s final match day with Harry Kane entering in position to defend the honour from last season. Kane, who scored four times in Tottenham Hotspur’s 6-1 victory over Leicester City on Thursday, boosted his total to 26 goals this season. That’s one more than he had last season despite playing in nine fewer games because of ankle injuries.The 23-year-old became the 13th player, and the first for Tottenham, with five career Premier League hat tricks. And, with his third hat trick of the season, he drew level with Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski and Napoli’s Dries Mertens for the most in domestic league competitions this campaign.last_img read more

Food venues opening in campus center

first_imgAs hundreds of newly admitted students for the freshman class of 2014 flood USC this week for one of several orientations held throughout the summer, they won’t be bringing their brand new USCards to a big white tent.Working on it · Construction still cases the campus center and much of Trousdale Parkway, though the campus center has seen a fair bit of traffic since it opened its doors in June. Many prospective students availed themselves of the two available restaurants in the food court this week, as another orientation session brought many admitted students to campus. – Dieuwertje Kast | Summer TrojaRonald Tutor Campus Center opened two of its restaurants this week for business — Wahoo’s Fish Taco, moving from its previous location at Café 84, and Carl’s Jr., which operated out of The Lot up until the tent’s closure last month. Also slated to open its counters later this week is Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.The rest of the nine restaurants and cafes that will be operating out of the campus center will also open for business in the next two months, with training periods for its staff beginning up to two weeks before.California Pizza Kitchen, Panda Express and Seeds Marketplace will begin accepting student business in July; August will bring newcomers Lemonade and Moreton Fig officially to campus, as well as reintroduce USC’s 23-year-old bar, Traditions, into the student perview.Though construction still lines Trousdale Parkway, Trojan Hospitality began the process of moving student organizations and commercial outlets June 1. The campus center will also house the offices of the Alumni Center, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, the SCheduling Office, Admission Center, Undergraduate Student Government, KSCR radio station and Program Board, among others.last_img read more

MBB : RETURNING TO FORM: Syracuse runs away from Kansas State in 2nd half to advance to Sweet 16

first_img Comments PITTSBURGH – With one minute left, the Syracuse section of fans rose to its feet for a standing ovation. Dion Waiters stood at half court and turned to the orange-clad crowd.He raised his right hand high above his head and extended his pointer finger to the sky.The message couldn’t be clearer. Syracuse, despite its critics, earned its No. 1 seed.‘It was a statement to everybody that had the underdogs,’ Waiters said. ‘I’m glad we came in and proved them wrong. … It’s a great feeling.’No. 1 SU (33-2) advanced to the Sweet 16 with a 75-59 win over No. 8 Kansas State (22-11) Saturday in Pittsburgh. The Orange took advantage of the Wildcats man-to-man defense and pounded the ball inside at every opportunity. That eventually created space on the perimeter, and Syracuse didn’t miss a 3-pointer in the second half as it pulled away.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSU will play No. 4 seed Wisconsin in Boston on Thursday. The Badgers defeated No. 5 Vanderbilt 60-57 on Saturday.After his signal to the crowd, Waiters dropped his hand and saluted the Orange fans. By the end of the game, the boos that had greeted Syracuse throughout its play at the Consol Energy Center were silenced. They were replaced by a ‘Let’s go Orange’ chant.It was SU’s fans who were ecstatic by the time the game ended. But right from the opening tip, it was the Orange’s players who were thrilled to see Kansas State’s man-to-man defense.‘We’ve been seeing a lot of zone,’ Scoop Jardine said. ‘We saw the man and our eyes lit up.’Three of Syracuse’s last four opponents played a zone defense, and the Orange’s offense sputtered.Saturday, SU attacked inside from its first possession when Brandon Triche hit a floater in the paint.The Orange fell behind by seven early, but Waiters and Kris Joseph carried Syracuse back in front. Their dribble penetration sparked a 21-3 run that put SU up by 11, and they finished with 19 of the team’s 25 first-half points.‘We’re a team who does well on man-to-man,’ Waiters said. ‘At the end of the day, we saw what they were giving us, and we took full advantage of it.’The Wildcats countered by dominating the boards. They outrebounded Syracuse 28-16 and pulled down 15 offensive rebounds before halftime. Forward Jordan Henriquez pulled down 11 rebounds in the first half alone and led KSU on a 12-2 run to pull within 25-24 at the break.And Kansas State’s first eight points in the second half came on three layups and a Henriquez tip-slam.But momentum swung permanently in SU’s favor when Henriquez fouled Joseph on a drive, picking up his third foul with 16 minutes left. The Orange held a 34-32 lead when the 6-foot-11 forward sat down, and its lead grew to seven by the time he returned 2:33 later.‘I felt like they were too small out there,’ James Southerland said, ‘and they didn’t have anyone to really guard us.’Henriquez’s return didn’t stop the Syracuse run or its ability to score inside. Freshman center Rakeem Christmas slipped free under the basket twice, and Jardine found him for finishes at the rim.The lead grew to 10, and the threat of SU’s dribble penetration started opening up space for its shooters. The Orange went 5-of-5 from 3-point range in the second half, all of them by Jardine and Southerland.‘James got in a rhythm, Scoop in the second half got in a rhythm,’ Joseph said. ‘That’s what we want to see. We don’t want to take contested shots. We want easy, open shots. That’s what we got.’Syracuse went up by 13 with nine minutes left when Southerland found space at the top of the key and knocked down a triple in rhythm. The junior buried another after Jardine drove into the paint and found him wide-open in the corner to put SU up 58-44 with seven minutes left.Kansas State never cut the lead to single digits, and the Orange added two exclamation points with uncontested dunks in the final minute.Before that, Waiters made sure to let the fans know that this Syracuse squad, regardless of its previous struggles, was still a top team.‘I feel as though we just have to just continue to work hard and build off this,’ Waiters said. ‘Going to the Sweet 16, we’re not done yet. It doesn’t stop here. We’re trying to get to New Orleans.’zjbrown@syr.edu Published on March 16, 2012 at 12:00 pmcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Syracuse to retire former star Anthony’s jersey, according to report

first_img Published on January 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm Contact Ryne: rjgery@syr.edu Facebook Twitter Google+ Carmelo Anthony’s jersey will be retired by Syracuse at halftime of the Feb. 23 home game against Georgetown, according to a Thursday morning SU Athletics press release.The star of SU’s 2003 national championship team is expected to be honored at halftime. During the ceremony, his jersey hanging in the rafters will be unveiled, and he’ll be given the chance to address the Orange fans, according to the release.Anthony will be presented with a framed jersey during the halftime celebration. The 2003 Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player currently stars for the New York Knicks, who play at the Toronto Raptors Feb. 22 and host the Philadelphia 76ers Feb. 24.He averaged 22.2 points per game as a freshman during his All-American 2002-03 season, leading Syracuse to its only national championship. His No. 15 jersey hasn’t been worn since he left campus for the NBA after that season.Anthony will become the 10th player in SU history to have his jersey retired.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Commentslast_img read more

Marshall making an impact on defense

first_imgBig time player · Freshman cornerback Iman Marshall committed to USC as a five-star recruit last Feburary out of Long Beach Poly High School, which is also the alma mater of star wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster. – Nick Entin | Daily TrojanHalfway through his first season at USC, cornerback Iman “Biggie” Marshall has learned that there are things in college football that are going to be out of his control.After a shocking head coaching change and being on the losing end of a few meaningful catches this season, Marshall has embraced the one thing that he knows he can manage: his work ethic.Marshall has stayed and worked with assistant defensive coach Drew Pearson  after every practice throughout the season to improve his technique, endurance and ability to finish plays. The two seem to work equally hard in their sessions, as Pearson plays the role of the wide receiver and challenges Marshall to be physical with him off the line and throughout the route.“It’s the sign of a guy who wants to be great. He’s not satisfied with where he’s at yet. He wants to be great, and he works at his craft,” said interim head coach Clay Helton. “There is a fine line between overworking yourself, but there have been a lot of guys who have spent a lot of hours on this practice field that have gone on to do great things. I think that Biggie wants to fall in line with those guys.”The 6-foot-2, 200-pound freshman had already been known for his physical play at Long Beach Poly where he made the 2014 USA Today All-USA first team, and was widely considered the top high school cornerback in the entire country.The amount of work Marshall has put in since arriving at USC has certainty impressed veteran players like redshirt junior Zach Banner, who has acted as a mentors for the younger guys.“He’s a really hard worker and humble kid who is always out here doing extra after practice,” Banner said Wednesday. “He’s a really good player who is going to be really special.”Marshall said that being around veteran defensive backs like Kevon Seymour, Adoree’ Jackson, linebacker Su’a Cravens and safety Chris Hawkins  has given him a unique opportunity to learn and develop as a cornerback.“The adjustment has been really cool. Just take all that knowledge and soak it in,” Marshall said. “A lot of the older dudes have been bringing me along and helping me out through this whole transition, and I really appreciate that.”Marshall has been thrown into the fire since he started at USC, stepping into his current role for Kevon Seymour, who was injured at the time.Additionally, injuries to wide receivers such as Darreus Rodgers and Steven Mitchell resulted in Jackson playing more snaps on offense; and Marshall as cornerback. Marshall leads all USC DBs with 280 snaps and has allowed only eight catches on 16 targets, with one interception.“If you ask me one thing about Iman that has enabled him to play early, I would say it’s his competitiveness,” defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox said.  “He’s a guy who wants to go play man to man. He wants to go make the big tackle on third and three.”Cameron Smith, who also became a defensive starter as a freshman, is excited about playing alongside Marshall in the coming years at USC.“Marshall is a baller, obviously, because we have seen what he has done,” Smith said. “I think that is one of the tougher positions, to come in and play at corner, because of the athleticism and football IQ you need back there. He’s doing a great job, and he’s going to keep getting better. He’s going to be huge in the coming years.”Marshall had another impressive practice Wednesday when he intercepted Cody Kessler’s pass to receiver George Katrib and had a few pass breakups after. But despite his hard work, Marshall believes that it will never be enough to prepare him for the games. But, Marshall says that he stays with coaches after every practice to keep improving his fundamentals and his physicality so that he’ll be in the best position possible to make the next play.“You know at the position I’m playing, you can’t be perfect and that you’re never going to have a perfect outing,” Marshall said. “There are players who have been in the NFL for 10 years who have become so technically sound at the position, who still mess up a little bit. And then things can happen wrong. So, that’s why coach and I do as much as possible to be prepared.”Justin Wilcox said that he’s told Marshall that he can be “disappointed, just not discouraged,” by those “up for grabs” passes that he’s come short on this season in games such as Stanford and Notre Dame this season. But Wilcox added that the Division I atmosphere hasn’t been too big for Marshall by any means, and says that the ferocious way “Biggie” approaches every practice is going to translate into an incredibly bright future for the freshman.“If it is a 50-50 ball and they make a great catch, ‘hey man’, I’m still going to put him out there again because I believe in him,” Wilcox said. “Just like I do the other guys, I believe he’s going to make those plays when it’s his day. He has got a lot of room to grow still. But, I’m glad he is with us, and we are going to keep continuing to push him.”last_img read more

Gallery: Syracuse football blows 17-point lead in loss to South Florida

first_img Published on September 17, 2016 at 8:15 pm Contact Tony: ajcurtis@syr.edu Comments Related Stories Syracuse football: 3 quick takeaways from SU’s 45-20 loss to South FloridaWith shrinking margin of error against USF, Syracuse football makes too many mistakes in 45-20 lossPoll: Grade Syracuse football’s performance in 45-20 loss to South FloridaStorify: Syracuse community reacts to 45-20 loss to USFWATCH: Dino Babers’ press conference after 45-20 loss to South Floridacenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more